From: Bob Headrick on
"Gene West" <geneo1133(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I have a Canon ip4000 with only 1/2 of the black (3e-BK) printing in the
> draft and the standard modes. Very distinct bands (not streaking)
> alternating with a good line and a blank line. Cleaning was to no avail.
> What I did to be able to use the head was to go into the envelop mode
> which gave me extra passes, however, it was significantly slower than the
> draft mode.

Based on your description the problem is not a clogged printhead, it is more
likely an electrical issue taking out half the printhead. You may be able
to recover this by carefully cleaning the printhead contacts with a lint
free cloth. A dollar bill folded up may be a suitable scrubber.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

From: Gene West on
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Will post if it works.

Gene

From: Gene West on
I've had my IP4000 for 4.5 yrs and all heads were good until recently,
when 1/2 the black pigment stopped printing in one direction when used
in draft and standard mode. I did as Charlie+ suggested for the reasons
suggested, but I would consider my printing load rather light.

My question is: Can a burnout occur over 1/2 of the black head only and
have the other half perfect? I tried to clean the print head electrical
contacts as suggested by another poster, however, that did not help. I
ordered a new head and I will soon know if the problem is internal to
the printer or within the print head. Will keep folks who are following
this problem posted on the results.

Gene

From: Arthur Entlich on

I'm pleased to hear that Canon user replaceable heads are now giving
better service duty. The information you provide is probably helpful for
those using some models of Canon printers. I don't have any idea what
type of print intensity you are using. Obviously, text uses less nozzle
firing than full page images, and how evenly the colors are used will
also have an affect on life span of the head overall.

I would like to correct one comment. While you are correct that with
thermal print heads like Canon, and others using that technology,
running the head while dry of ink can cause more damage to it, piezo
heads are not really damaged by being run without ink in them, since the
process is electro-mechanical and not thermal, they do not generate a
lot of heat, running without the ink cooling them isn't typically much
of an issue.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Gene West on
Charlie+ wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:08:45 -0500, Gene West <geneo1133(a)sbcglobal.net>
> wrote as underneath my scribble :
>
>> I've had my IP4000 for 4.5 yrs and all heads were good until recently,
>> when 1/2 the black pigment stopped printing in one direction when used
>> in draft and standard mode. I did as Charlie+ suggested for the reasons
>> suggested, but I would consider my printing load rather light.
>>
>> My question is: Can a burnout occur over 1/2 of the black head only and
>> have the other half perfect? I tried to clean the print head electrical
>> contacts as suggested by another poster, however, that did not help. I
>> ordered a new head and I will soon know if the problem is internal to
>> the printer or within the print head. Will keep folks who are following
>> this problem posted on the results.
>>
>> Gene
>
> What happens when you run the nozzle check? Are you showing a full chequer
> pattern for the BC3e cart ?
Currently, I get the BC3e grid for the upper half only and it is
perfect. The lower half is completely blank. All other colors and
grays are perfect.

If my memory serves me correctly, I saw the lower half printing with
skips some months back. This leads me to believe the the lower half was
getting clogged and may have finally burned out. I wish I would have
deep cleaned it then. ;( Again, the new head should confirm/disprove
this theory. Will give an update in a week or so.

I am doing pretty well using the envelope mode in standard (reasonably
fast printing) and the high resolution mode (slower printing) in
standard for a better print output. These modes are most likely
unidirectional print head movements.

gene

> If yes then I think your printer is probably developing an oddball
> electronic fault - first thing I would try is a complete removal/reload of
> the drivers and software. After that probably resort to one way printing
> setting until it bins finally!! Good printers - try find a 2nd hand one? I
> have doubt that the fault is in the printhead if you show a full test
> pattern. Keep ng informed how it goes!
> Charlie+
>
>> Charlie+ wrote:
>>> This is not our experience at all with IP4000 - as long as the printhead is
>>> kept clear and you run the mainenance tests after every change of ink
>>> cart/s so that all nozzles are tested as printing without any gaps - the
>>> printhead lifes seem to continue for years. Having nozzles not being cooled
>>> by ink going through is the killer for any printhead no matter what brand of
>>> inkjet printer. An owner with sense in looking after their equipment is
>>> needed!
>>> Charlie+