From: Arthur Entlich on
No Charlie, I am not mixing them up.

Epson print heads almost never develop mechanical failures, although
they occasionally do develop electronic ones, they can work ten years or
more. They do clog, but most clogs can be cleared. The piezo
mechanical head is designed for literally hundreds of millions to a
billion actuations per nozzle. Canon heads experience thermal failure
well before that as part of their design. Each nozzle has a resistor
associated with it which causes it to rapidly heat and cool with every
drop of ink expelled, this both erodes the nozzle and causes eventual
failure of the resistor.

Canon Pixma heads are available on line to buy for replacement. Almost
everyone I know who uses Canon Pixma inkjet printers in moderate to
heavy use has replaced the heads once or twice.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Charlie+ wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 03:05:34 -0800, Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org>
> wrote as underneath my scribble :
>
> Sounds to me that your experience is with Epsons - we are talking about
> Canon printheads here they have been reliable..
> Charlie+
>
>> I'm pleased to hear that Canon user replaceable heads are now giving
>> better service duty. The information you provide is probably helpful for
>> those using some models of Canon printers. I don't have any idea what
>> type of print intensity you are using. Obviously, text uses less nozzle
>> firing than full page images, and how evenly the colors are used will
>> also have an affect on life span of the head overall.
>>
>> I would like to correct one comment. While you are correct that with
>> thermal print heads like Canon, and others using that technology,
>> running the head while dry of ink can cause more damage to it, piezo
>> heads are not really damaged by being run without ink in them, since the
>> process is electro-mechanical and not thermal, they do not generate a
>> lot of heat, running without the ink cooling them isn't typically much
>> of an issue.
>>
>> Art
>>

>> If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
>> I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:
>>
>> http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/
>>
>> Charlie+ wrote:
>>> This is not our experience at all with IP4000 - as long as the printhead is
>>> kept clear and you run the mainenance tests after every change of ink
>>> cart/s so that all nozzles are tested as printing without any gaps - the
>>> printhead lifes seem to continue for years. Having nozzles not being cooled
>>> by ink going through is the killer for any printhead no matter what brand of
>>> inkjet printer. An owner with sense in looking after their equipment is
>>> needed!
>>> Charlie+
From: Gene West on
Gene West wrote:
> Charlie+ wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:08:45 -0500, Gene West <geneo1133(a)sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote as underneath my scribble :
>>
>>> I've had my IP4000 for 4.5 yrs and all heads were good until
>>> recently, when 1/2 the black pigment stopped printing in one
>>> direction when used in draft and standard mode. I did as Charlie+
>>> suggested for the reasons suggested, but I would consider my printing
>>> load rather light.
>>>
>>> My question is: Can a burnout occur over 1/2 of the black head only
>>> and have the other half perfect? I tried to clean the print head
>>> electrical contacts as suggested by another poster, however, that did
>>> not help. I ordered a new head and I will soon know if the problem
>>> is internal to the printer or within the print head. Will keep folks
>>> who are following this problem posted on the results.
>>>
>>> Gene

I just received a new print head and installed it. Presto! it works.
Ran a pattern check and all is well. Did so on the draft mode so
bi-directional printing is good.
I still don't know the physics of the head problem, and probably won't
find out. As of now it is being stored as a "limping" backup.
Thanks to all who replied.
Gene