From: nmm1 on
In article <27ebdb37-e3ba-4559-be7d-d7f3b6613d77(a)30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
MitchAlsup <MitchAlsup(a)aol.com> wrote:
>The most memorable hardware structure is the vector indirect
>addressing mode.

Yes. There were and are more bizarre ones, but they are Not Memorable
(see Sellars and Yeatman).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Jonathan Bromley on
On Mar 30, 10:38 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Yes.  There were and are more bizarre ones, but they are Not Memorable
> (see Sellars and Yeatman).

Ooooh, I like that. Always good to bring a bit of high culture
into the discussion.

It may be Memorable, hut was it a Good Thing?

_Sellar_ and Yeatman, I think you'll find (without the trailing 's').

Thanks for tickling a long-dormant and much cherished memory.
--
Jonathan Bromley
From: Weng Tianxiang on
On Mar 30, 10:41 am, Jason Zheng <Xin.Zh...(a)jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:06:23 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Weng Tianxiang <wtx...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > And it is strange enough that after PC was created, no big new
> > structure in CPU has ever invented. MESI protocol? No. Changing 1 core
> > to 2 core, or even 8 cores is considered as a big invention? No.
>
> My favorite is the Translation Look-aside Buffers (TLB), of course
> invented by the IBM engineers. You have to appreciate the way it sounds
> (and its irrelevance to its true purpose).

Haha, some people don't appreciate stack segment and stack pointer.

There two reasons I appreciate most:
1. It is very simple;
2. I handles all subroutine calls with prefect beauty for last 60
years.

3 years ago when I first read BW transform, I was in awe in such a way
that made me to excitement for a week.

But sadly I found that BW transform cannot get the high compression
rate even though we don't pay attention on the time the transform
needs.

I joined compression group and found there were few discussions on the
BW transform, the main reason is its not highest compression rate.

Weng
From: Rob Warnock on
MitchAlsup <MitchAlsup(a)aol.com> wrote:
+---------------
| The most memorable hardware structure is the vector indirect
| addressing mode.
+---------------

I was always rather fond of the PDP-10's multi-level indirect addressing
which allowed additional indexing with a different accumulator at each
level of indirection, and how that permitted multi-dimension array indexing
to be done in a *single* instruction, albeit requiring auxiliary Iliffe
vectors for the arrays [as was done in ALGOL-10]. Quoting myself:

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 06:03:04 -0500
From: rpw3(a)rpw3.org (Rob Warnock)
Subject: Re: PDP-10 Assembly Language Questions
For, say, a three-dimensional array, if A, B, & C were already
in the proper registers, then "FOO[A,B,C] := FOO[A,B,C] + 1"
could be done in *one* instruction!! (No joke!)
What, you don't believe me? ;-} Here's the code:

MOVE T1,A ; Load up the array indices
MOVE T2,B
MOVE T3,C
AOS @FOO(T1) ; Increment FOO[A,B,C] (and don't skip).

[Assumes the first level of Iliffe vectors has the indirect-addressing
bit on and "T2" in the index field, and the second level of Iliffe vectors
has the indirect-addressing bit *off* and "T3" in the index field.]

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3(a)rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

From: James Harris on
On 29 Mar, 22:36, Jonathan Bromley <jonathan.brom...(a)MYCOMPANY.com>
wrote:

> No?  Don't like that?  OK, the Transputer's tiny 3-register
> evaluation stack, with context switches permitted only at
> points where the stack is known to be empty.  The
> 21st century operating system wonks could REALLY learn
> something about lightweight elegance from that one.

And from its one-byte instructions. Four-bit opcode and four-bit data
fields lead to 29 of the most-used instructions taking just one byte
and allowing for about 256 others to be encoded in two bytes (though
some used more). All this made effective on a 32-bit machine in the
1980s!

Of course the stack and zero-operand addressing made such tiny
encoding possible. These days a single stack would probably effect a
dependency between instructions which did not need one. Perhaps today
such would be built as many micro-cores.

James
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Maximum output rate