From: Priam on
On 06/04/2010 11:58 PM, B wrote:
> On 6/3/2010 3:14 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>> I don't need a duplexer nor scanner nor fax.
>>
>> Ink jets sound like they will clog up if not used
>> daily.
>>
>> Laser toner apparently spews fine particles in the home
>> and is messy.
>>
>> What decent printer can I buy for an engineering
>> student who needs color 8.5 x 11 output? But low use as
>> the campus has printers as well?
>>
>> I'm willing to spend no more than $350...maybe a bit
>> more
>
> For a fraction of your budget you can get very good printers that will
> serve your needs. I'd recommend a Canon inkjet.

I wouldn't. The problem with Canon products is that soon as the
guarantee is over, the only support they provide is: "Why don't you buy
a new one?" They'll keep you online for hours just to tell you this. I
even wrote to Canon Japan. No answer.

Rotten company.

> At home
> the printer can go days or weeks without being used and continues to
> work fine. At the small office environment that I support, where we have
> several Canon inkjets, in the two instances when we've had a problem
> over the years, Canon support has been very good.

I cannot doesn't clog, why does Arthur provide a manual for cleaning them:

"I don;t recall if you requested my Canon cleaning manual or not, which
has a few suggestions on head cleaning beyond compressed air. If not,
you can request a copy by emailing me at:

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org"

MessageID: BqeDn.166193$sx5.42896(a)newsfe16.iad
From: Priam on
On 06/05/2010 05:05 PM, Stuart wrote:

> I have a Canon Lide 70 scanner that I am currently using in a big project
> which has meant that I have so far scanned in excess of 7,000 pages since
> about last September.

Call back when you're around 7.000.000 scans. These are more like HP
figures.

From: me on
Stuart <Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>Canon make good kit and I would recommend to anyone despite what you think.

My only problem with the Canons I've looked at is it
seems they pit the units power supply IN the unit
etc.... and not an external power "brick" like HP does

I prefer the external power brick actually
From: me on
Stuart <Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>Canon make good kit and I would recommend to anyone despite what you think.

OK...went ahead and ordered the cheap Canon on sale at
NewEgg plus the 4 extra ink cartridges combo for a
total of $135

Linux support looks "iffy"... but I will be running
VMWare on desktop anyway so can switch to Windows VM to
print if needed.... I guess
From: me on
Stuart <Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>Oh, did I not mention the BJC-55 I've just checked out. I was given it
>about three years ago and it had been sitting around for an unknown period
>of time beforhand. The black printhead was blocked, hardly surprising, but
>the colour head, way out of date but sealed in its original package works
>fine. The re-chargeable battery takes and hold charge too.

I also kicked around buying Canons portable printer for
abt $230

But really..... as much as I would need portable
printer I think I can throw the cheaper Canon AIO on
sale in a carryon flight bag and take THAT with me!

Might look a little funny sitting in a coffee shop and
pulling out a desktop AIO printer and plugging it
in.... but I have no shame abt being cheap lol