From: Jan Alter on
"Stuart" <Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <833g06p2gh88c8dghhh7r026qsbelub0vh(a)4ax.com>,
> <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>> Ink jets sound like they will clog up if not used
>> daily.
>
> They're not /that/ bad!
>
> I can go away on holiday for a fortnight, no printing is done in that
> time, and have no problem whatsoever. Old Canon S4500.
>
> I think it needs several months for jets to clog.

Clogging in inkjets have variables when the printer is not used for a period
of time. Humidity in the air is a big one. The higher the humidity the
longer the time that surface ink on the printhead will remain undried. Ink
composition is another factor; dye base, pigment base and what formulations
are used to make the ink will affect its drying time. Further, printer
design plays a role in clogging as well. I've worked with a lot of Epson
inkjet printers over the last 20 years and found that if they are used at
least once a week they will not clog. However, I live in the Philadelphia
area, where humidity is relatively high. If I lived in Arizona and left the
same printer unused for a week I might expect a clogging problem with the
same printer.
On the other hand I've worked with some HP inkjets and they seem to
avoid head clogs for a longer period of time than Epsons. The ones I used
were using dye-base ink, the same as the Epsons. It may have been the
printhead design or the ink formulation and materials used to make the ink
that allowed them to avoid head clogs longer than the Epsons in the same
humidity environment.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Don Phillipson on
<me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

> What decent printer can I buy for an engineering
> student who needs color 8.5 x 11 output? But low use as
> the campus has printers as well?
>
> I'm willing to spend no more than $350...

A couple of years ago Brother was distributing its obsolete
printers (both laser e.g. model HL-2040 and inkjet e.g.
DCP 300) at about $60 each (very little more than the
retail cost of inks or toner also supplied.) I then bought
three, used lightly and faultlessly (enough to require one
refill each.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Priam on
On 06/04/2010 07:44 AM, Jan Alter wrote:

> On the other hand I've worked with some HP inkjets and they seem to
> avoid head clogs for a longer period of time than Epsons. The ones I used
> were using dye-base ink, the same as the Epsons. It may have been the
> printhead design or the ink formulation and materials used to make the ink
> that allowed them to avoid head clogs longer than the Epsons in the same
> humidity environment.

So what you say is HP served you well. I have a Laserjet 1012. It always
worked flawlessly... even if the "cartridge" is suppose to work only for
one year. (I've had it for more than 3 years :)

I had a very bad experience with Canon. It's a company you better not
deal with. Epson, I don't know.

From: MD34 on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:14:21 -0500, me(a)privacy.net wrote:

>Laser toner apparently spews fine particles in the home
>and is messy.
I have a B&W and a Color Laser and haven't seen any particles. Only mess comes
from paper edges after they go through any printer.

>What decent printer can I buy for an engineering
>student who needs color 8.5 x 11 output? But low use as
>the campus has printers as well?

I just bought a used HP2605 color laser for $150 and it's great. New toners are
about $70 but remans are around $30, or DIY for $10

From: B on
On 6/3/2010 3:14 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> I don't need a duplexer nor scanner nor fax.
>
> Ink jets sound like they will clog up if not used
> daily.
>
> Laser toner apparently spews fine particles in the home
> and is messy.
>
> What decent printer can I buy for an engineering
> student who needs color 8.5 x 11 output? But low use as
> the campus has printers as well?
>
> I'm willing to spend no more than $350...maybe a bit
> more

For a fraction of your budget you can get very good printers that will
serve your needs. I'd recommend a Canon inkjet. We've had good results
with them quality-wise and performance-wise at home and at work. At
home the printer can go days or weeks without being used and continues
to work fine. At the small office environment that I support, where we
have several Canon inkjets, in the two instances when we've had a
problem over the years, Canon support has been very good.

Color, which you'll probably want, should be much cheaper with an inkjet.

If you decide to spend the money for a laser printer, toner should not
be a problem except possibly when you have to replace a cartridge. With
your usage levels that should be rarely. Just be careful in the
cartridge replacement process, follow the instructions for both the old
cartridge and the new one and you should be fine.