From: TJ on
On 06/06/2010 08:52 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> Adam<adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I replaced it
>> with an HP Deskjet, I was amazed at the difference in Linux support.
>
> thanks for the confirm
>
> and yes Linux is HEAVILY used in engineering college
>
> crazy why these companies screw themselves outta
> potential consumers by NOT supporting Linux
>
> plain insanity

I too can confirm the HP Linux support, as I do about 98% of my
computing with Linux. Pity you didn't mention the need for Linux support
in your original post. It might have changed the recommendations.

I currently have two older HPs, a Deskjet 5650 and an Officejet 6110.
Both use the same print engine and cartridges. I've used them
infrequently of late, printing a couple of days ago with the last use
before that maybe two weeks. I refill my carts, and the black one of one
printer, which had been refilled many times, was partly clogged but
quickly cleared. The other printer's black, which was stale-dated when I
put it in but has not yet run out of the original ink, was still
unclogged. The tricolor carts were both just fine.

Mandriva Linux installed both printers with no intervention from me
other than using the power switches. Unlike what I've read about Canon,
all functions are available, even the scanner and fax of the Officejet.

Sigh. Back when I was in engineering school, the closest things I had to
a personal printer were my trusty Royal portable manual typewriter and
my #2 pencil. Times have certainly changed.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
From: MD34 on

>TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
>
>>Sigh. Back when I was in engineering school, the closest things I had to
>>a personal printer were my trusty Royal portable manual typewriter and
>>my #2 pencil. Times have certainly changed.

God, the problems I had with a typewriter.........
I managed to cope, but things are sure better now.
I remember trying to justify or center text. Damn!