From: Adam on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> crazy why these companies screw themselves outta
> potential consumers by NOT supporting Linux

They probably figured (or guessed) that the profit from the
additional sales would be less than the cost of writing and
supporting Linux software.

Adam
From: Mark Swellman on
On 06/06/2010 09:08 AM, Stuart wrote:
> In article<huf4vc$9sn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Priam<priam(a)notsosure.com> wrote:
>
>> Call back when you're around 7.000.000 scans. These are more like HP
>> figures.
>
> I don't care about manufactures figures, when you've done 7,000,000 with
> your hp /you/ come back and tell us.

Mine hasn't done it but I've seen some do it.

> As for their service department, I have no idea because I've not needed
> them.

At 7,000 scans, it's understandable.

> Oh, did I not mention the BJC-55 I've just checked out. I was given it
> about three years ago and it had been sitting around for an unknown period
> of time beforhand. The black printhead was blocked, hardly surprising, but
> the colour head, way out of date but sealed in its original package works
> fine.

You find it surprizing that a *sealed* color printhead works? Gee, the
ink never got to the nozzles!

No surprize you're satisfied with Canon!

From: Priam on
On 06/06/2010 08:52 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> Adam<adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I replaced it
>> with an HP Deskjet, I was amazed at the difference in Linux support.
>
> thanks for the confirm
>
> and yes Linux is HEAVILY used in engineering college

I thought AutoCAD was the norm. Which software do you use?

> crazy why these companies screw themselves outta
> potential consumers by NOT supporting Linux
>
> plain insanity

Maybe, as for Asus' netbooks, M$ made them an offer they couldn't refuse?
From: Priam on
On 06/06/2010 08:14 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> Adam<adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Canon is known as one of the worst offenders as far as Linux support
>> goes. Pity, as they seem to make good equipment. I'm more familiar
>> with VirtualBox than VMware, but probably printing from a Windows VM
>> would work.
>
> ayep
>
> feck it....I just canceled the order from newegg

Wise move. With the latest releases of Linux, you just plug the printer
and it prints.
From: Lon on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> Adam <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Canon is known as one of the worst offenders as far as Linux support
>> goes. Pity, as they seem to make good equipment. I'm more familiar
>> with VirtualBox than VMware, but probably printing from a Windows VM
>> would work.
>
> ayep
>
> feck it....I just canceled the order from newegg
>
> will stick with HP.... maybe portable unit tho
>
> actually I will just make a Google "alert" using the
> model number I want... and WAIT for a sale or a good
> refurb
>
> sorry.... I don't overpay on stuff lol

Try this website...

http://www.openprinting.org/printers