From: Savageduck on

http://www.americascup.com/en/index.html

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:39:23 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote in <hl53cu$89m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2010-02-12 11:41:44 -0800, John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> said:
>

>>> Too much idle time between America's Cup press conferences. ;)
>>
>> Well at least Oracle has the first win.
>> Now let's see if they can have enough wind to finish it up. They are
>> already behind schedule, and the networks are locked into the Winter
>> Olymics.
>
>Sweet. Suite. Toute suite. En suite? I do hope the latter for the Cup!
>
>A quick look via Titantv.com does not show anything under America's Cup
>nor sailing for that matter.
>Any info on TV for the series?

No America's Cup TV coverage in the USA, but there is free live video at
<http://www.americascup.com/>.

The high-tech wing on BMW Oracle appears to be a huge and decisive
advantage, able to point both higher and faster in all wind conditions.
With conventional soft sails, Alinghi struggled just to keep a hull
flying.

The event could be over with the 2nd race now scheduled to start early
(0100-0300) tomorrow morning -- well worth watching if for no other
reason that we'll probably never see racing sailboats anything like
these again in our lifetimes at least.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:39:23 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
> wrote in <hl53cu$89m$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:

>>> Well at least Oracle has the first win.
>>> Now let's see if they can have enough wind to finish it up. They are
>>> already behind schedule, and the networks are locked into the Winter
>>> Olymics.
>> Sweet. Suite. Toute suite. En suite? I do hope the latter for the Cup!
>>
>> A quick look via Titantv.com does not show anything under America's Cup
>> nor sailing for that matter.
>> Any info on TV for the series?
>
> No America's Cup TV coverage in the USA, but there is free live video at
> <http://www.americascup.com/>.

Yes, thanks to 'duck, I watched last evening. Damn shame we can't get HD
coverage of this incredible match. Or even SD.

> The high-tech wing on BMW Oracle appears to be a huge and decisive
> advantage, able to point both higher and faster in all wind conditions.
> With conventional soft sails, Alinghi struggled just to keep a hull
> flying.

Hmm, conventional? Soft? Yes, compared to BMW-O, but not your average
racing cruiser.... it is an incredible sight. They go so fast downwind
the apparent wind shifts so much you think they're close hauled.

> The event could be over with the 2nd race now scheduled to start early
> (0100-0300) tomorrow morning -- well worth watching if for no other
> reason that we'll probably never see racing sailboats anything like
> these again in our lifetimes at least.

Are there agreed on rules changes in the mix here for future contests? I
do sometimes wish it were about good crew, tactics, and muscle instead
of technology. And two out of three? Clearly I need to bone up on
developments over the last dozen or so years.

--
John McWilliams
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:53:54 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote in <hl6ovk$6ju$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>John Navas wrote:

>> The high-tech wing on BMW Oracle appears to be a huge and decisive
>> advantage, able to point both higher and faster in all wind conditions.
>> With conventional soft sails, Alinghi struggled just to keep a hull
>> flying.
>
>Hmm, conventional? Soft? Yes, compared to BMW-O, but not your average
>racing cruiser....

Many weekend racers also use the same molded North Sails 3DL technology.
<http://www.da-woody.com/3DL/3DL.html>

This is the basis of the outstanding protest against Alinghi by BMW
Oracle for violating the made-in-country rule by using sail panels built
in the USA. (Alinghi claims that assembling the final sail in
Switzerland satisfies the rule.)

>it is an incredible sight.

No shite! Photo gallery:
<http://www.americascup.com/en/multimedia/gallery/index.php?idIndex=77>

>They go so fast downwind
>the apparent wind shifts so much you think they're close hauled.

Indeed they are always close-hauled.

>> The event could be over with the 2nd race now scheduled to start early
>> (0100-0300) tomorrow morning -- well worth watching if for no other
>> reason that we'll probably never see racing sailboats anything like
>> these again in our lifetimes at least.

NEWS: Start of race #2 won't be before 0300 our time.

>Are there agreed on rules changes in the mix here for future contests? I
>do sometimes wish it were about good crew, tactics, and muscle instead
>of technology. And two out of three? Clearly I need to bone up on
>developments over the last dozen or so years.

This was a Deed of Gift match that resulted when Alinghi tried to
improperly take control of and change the event unilaterally, which BMW
Oracle successfully challenged in court (many times).

BWM Oracle has promised a return to the traditional multi-team challenge
consensus format if it wins the Deed of Gift match.

From: John McWilliams on
John Navas wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:53:54 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
> wrote in <hl6ovk$6ju$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>
>>> The high-tech wing on BMW Oracle appears to be a huge and decisive
>>> advantage, able to point both higher and faster in all wind conditions.
>>> With conventional soft sails, Alinghi struggled just to keep a hull
>>> flying.
>> Hmm, conventional? Soft? Yes, compared to BMW-O, but not your average
>> racing cruiser....
>
> Many weekend racers also use the same molded North Sails 3DL technology.
> <http://www.da-woody.com/3DL/3DL.html>
>
> This is the basis of the outstanding protest against Alinghi by BMW
> Oracle for violating the made-in-country rule by using sail panels built
> in the USA. (Alinghi claims that assembling the final sail in
> Switzerland satisfies the rule.)
>
>> it is an incredible sight.
>
> No shite! Photo gallery:
> <http://www.americascup.com/en/multimedia/gallery/index.php?idIndex=77>
>
>> They go so fast downwind
>> the apparent wind shifts so much you think they're close hauled.
>
> Indeed they are always close-hauled.

I misspoke- but as I still relate being close hauled only with clawing
to windward, it just looks odd!

>>> The event could be over with the 2nd race now scheduled to start early
>>> (0100-0300) tomorrow morning -- well worth watching if for no other
>>> reason that we'll probably never see racing sailboats anything like
>>> these again in our lifetimes at least.
>
> NEWS: Start of race #2 won't be before 0300 our time.
>
>> Are there agreed on rules changes in the mix here for future contests? I
>> do sometimes wish it were about good crew, tactics, and muscle instead
>> of technology. And two out of three? Clearly I need to bone up on
>> developments over the last dozen or so years.
>
> This was a Deed of Gift match that resulted when Alinghi tried to
> improperly take control of and change the event unilaterally, which BMW
> Oracle successfully challenged in court (many times).
>
> BWM Oracle has promised a return to the traditional multi-team challenge
> consensus format if it wins the Deed of Gift match.

Again, I will do my own research, but will monos ever be raced again?
Will the finals be a longer series?

--
John McWilliams