From: Joe788 on
http://www.deskeng.com/virtual_desktop/?p=1667

D.DAMATO says:

May 13, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I must agree with Jon Banquer’s comment. I’ve been a hardcore
Solidworks user since the beginning (1997). Over the past couple of
years I’ve noticed a degradation in the usability of the Solidworks
product. Having been spoiled by the ealier years of Solidworks
development, where enhancements were just that…enhancements, I’ve
noticed that each new release seem to break (usability, large assembly
performance, PDM, Motion, etc.) more than they fix.

In any case, I’ll be test driving Autodesk Inventor this summer, base
on one simple fact…R&D investment. I’ve reviewed the Annual Report for
Solidworks and Autodesk. Autodesk invested $576.1 million in R&D for
2009, where i expect 65% ($374.4 million) was used for development of
engineering applications.

The Autodesk R&D budget is equal to the total revenue of the
Solidworks product lines. Dessault spent approximatly $500 million on
R&D, but I estimate the lions share went to improving PLM (corporate
focus) as opposed to the main stream CAD product line (Solidworks).
Based on revenue percentates I estimate the R&D budget of Solidworks
at $100 Million, or 1/4 what Autodesk is investing in the market.

Lastly, the tone of each Annual Report says even more. Dessault
Systems is focus on its PLM product line which is probably where most
of its R&D budget is directed. On the other hand, Autodesk is focused
on their applications (AutoCAD, Inventor, Maya, 3DMAx, etc.). If these
trends continue at each company, I expect Inventor, as well as other
Autodesk products to grab significant MCAD market share based on
improving the robustness and usability through R&D investment.
From: P on

"Joe788" <larryrozer(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
http://www.deskeng.com/virtual_desktop/?p=1667

D.DAMATO? Is that a new pseudonym you're using?

From: Michael A. Terrell on

P wrote:

> "Joe788" <larryrozer(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.deskeng.com/virtual_desktop/?p=1667
>
> D.DAMATO? Is that a new pseudonym you're using?

They must have had a blowout sale at "Sockpuppets 'R' Us"

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Joe788 on
On May 14, 9:18 am, "P" <some...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Joe788" <larryro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> D.DAMATO? Is that a new pseudonym you're using?

Note that Jon now has as least 3 google groups handles, since his
posts all get 2 stars immediately after posting. LOL!

Even funnier is the grounds for this guy's agreement with Jon. He's
basing his judgments on completely unfounded "estimates" of what
portion of each companies R&D dollars go to which product. How can
anybody be so self deluded, that they can actually pretend to make
informed decisions based on made up data?
From: noneya on
Say Jon, aren't you the guy pushing UGNX as the be all, end all, best
there is?

Did Qualcomm switch over to UG before they fired you?

Are people expected to trade in their CAD/CAM every time a nice glossy
advertisement or video shows up?

The "kick Jonnie-Bonkers out of San Diego and take Cliff with you"
group wants to know ! For your stinking the place up and giving us a
bad name.