From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Sectors are only ever reallocated on writes to that sector,
>> essentially so you dont lose what data is in them and can
>> attempt to get the data by repeated reads etc.

> Actually, this drive has just recently been reformatted, so there's
> really no data on it to lose. I used a quick ntfs format, rather than a
> full one.

The drive has no idea about this. It does not get told about
a format, it just sees secor reads and writes. The only
exception is a secure erase by ATA command.

You need to write either the pending sector (you can find out
were it is by running a full SMART test, e.g.) or write the
whole drive. AFAIK windows cannot do that itself, look for one
for the various disk erasers.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
Arno wrote:
> You need to write either the pending sector (you can find out
> were it is by running a full SMART test, e.g.) or write the
> whole drive. AFAIK windows cannot do that itself, look for one
> for the various disk erasers.

The full SMART test does writes too, right? I can just get HD Sentinel
to do a full test.

Yousuf Khan
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <4b572f95$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> writes

> What would the explanation for this be?
>
>> [ Maxtor 6L300R0 (L61F02TH) ]
^^^^^^

That. <spit>

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

From: Arno on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>> You need to write either the pending sector (you can find out
>> were it is by running a full SMART test, e.g.) or write the
>> whole drive. AFAIK windows cannot do that itself, look for one
>> for the various disk erasers.

> The full SMART test does writes too, right? I can just get HD Sentinel
> to do a full test.

No. It reads all sectors and tries a recovery and reallocation
for those with problems, but it will only reallocated if it
can read the data. I think the current version of HDD Sentinel
can do some write tests. What the long selftest gives you is the
number of the wirst unrecoverable error in the selftest log.
You can use that for a selective overwrite.

Personally I use Linux and do a
dd_rescue -w /dev/zero /dev/<disk>
to overwrite a disk.

Arno
From: Rod Speed on
Yousuf Khan wrote
> Arno wrote

>> You need to write either the pending sector (you can find out
>> were it is by running a full SMART test, e.g.) or write the
>> whole drive. AFAIK windows cannot do that itself, look for one
>> for the various disk erasers.

> The full SMART test does writes too, right?

Nope.

> I can just get HD Sentinel to do a full test.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Bad Sectors
Next: Recommendations for 1 TB drive?