From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <4rgbc7FraovaU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> writes:
|> > Why would the US be the best place to research the UK's security and
|> > intelligence agencies?
|>
|> While the US has the laudable FOIA - something we are trying to put in place
|> hereabouts - the UK has quite the opposite: the Official Secrets Act, which I
|> have always thought to be unconstitutional in a democracy. But then, as I
|> understand it the UK doesn't _have_ a constitution...

What makes you think that we are a democracy?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Del Cecchi on

"Jan Vorbr?ggen" <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote in message
>>> Well tell us every thing you know about your MI organizations and
>>> GCHQ?
>> I think Nick might be one of the folks who like to make snarky little
>> remarks about the folks who are trying to protect us from other folks
>> who would like to kill as many of us as possible.
>
> ...with the point being that with all those resources at their
> disposal, they have failed miserably. And where they didn't fail, the
> political level failed (cue WMD in the Near East (near for us, guys!)).
> So why exactly did you, and are you, spending those resources?
>
> Yeah, there are likely hundreds of unpublishable success stories. Well,
> if the tree falls in the forest and nobody heard and saw it - did it
> really fall?
>
> Jan

Of course it did. If the big bang happened and no one saw it, did it
really bang?

del

From: Eugene Miya on

In article <4rgamnFqm6niU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Vorbr=FCggen?= <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote:
>Power(PC) is still around and going strong, ARM and even MIPS (mostly
>embedded, to be sure), and it appears there is substantial investment in the
>S/370 follow-ons from IBM. Not to mention IA-64 8-|.

I appreciate your elaboration, but my problem is that I don't see much
difference. They are all pretty much von Neumann architectures with
little bells and whistles like differing registers and caches, etc.
Even a Transputer is fairly von Neumann and you didn't bring that up
(but that's OK) much less other systems.

From: Eugene Miya on
>> A lot is in the public domain. They fund lots of research in industry
>> and universities. Some of this I just saw in an article in US NWP while
>> waiting in my dentist's office just now. I first heard of Wikis on one of
>> my CIA visits and there is a big side bar on their use internally now.

In article <6vudnU_hm_KYXc_YnZ2dnUVZ_qednZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>,
Erik Magnuson <mekire(a)easyspeak.net> wrote:
>Would have been really interesting if your dentist was the late James P.
>Crutchfield, DDS...

No, but I finally met a friend's former stupid Jim Crutchfield of the
Santa Cruz Chaos cabral last year.

>Kind of funny in that the last things that CDC that had a significant
>impact on the computer field were related to small disk drives. The
>'IDE/ATA' interface was, IIRC, jointly developed by CDC and Compaq - my
>Deskpro 386 had a CDC Wren drive. Zoned bit encoding was another.

Years ago I worked at a firm on a team which designed r/w heads for CDC
disks (in the Winchester era). People have a fixation on CPUs. Storage
(at all levels) is really in many ways "more" essential (actually at
best 1 of 3 aspects to system balance). In the micro market (not mine),
Woz's really really important development to the Apple 2 floppy disk,
even more so than the Apple 2 itself. Otherwise hobbiests wuld have
stayed on audio tape much longer.

And that says nothing of aspect 3.

From: Eugene Miya on
>>snarky little remarks
In article <+qp*bmjvr(a)news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Thomas Womack <twomack(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>It is hard to avoid making snarky remarks
>laudable their goals, who have so little visible oversight and so
>waste money by bucketloads
>is invisibly wasted.

Some. That's the nature of research. They put money in to Larry and
Sergey along with other agencies and we have google.

>no actual competition anywhere. Enron comes somehow to mind.

8^)
Ah if you only knew.....
Enron started so seemingly "green" in many places.

>Money is invisibly wasted many places, but usually you end up with
>reasonably detailed questions in the House of Parliament (consider NHS
>IT projects, the cost over-run of which exceeds most estimates of the
>budget of Thames House, Vauxhall Cross and the Doughnut taken
>together); huge budgets spent in ways expensively proofed against
>investigative journalism are intrinsically snarkworthy.

We have our doughnut buildings here (both types). I did actually find
and locate Vauxhall and walk by it (one of those Bond films pre-9/11
[very interesting looking building]) but am less familiar with the House
(likely older non descript govt. bldg.). Likely photos of all searchable.
I know Vauxhall is there, as a test case.