From: lynn on

Eugene Miya wrote:
> Hey Tim Berners-Lee has taken that name now.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#19 Why so little parallelism?

I did some of the original implementation (ten years earlier than the
referenced email) ... abut the same time that also i worked on some of
the original relational/sql implementation.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

i've since gone thru a couple complete rewrites from scratch.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html

it is what i use for my rfc index
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.html

and the merged taxonomy and glossaries
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/index.html#glosnote

From: Jeremy Linton on
Del Cecchi wrote:
> Eugene Miya wrote:
>> In article <1162280826.130349.50090(a)m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
>> BDH <bhauth(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I had a couple billion I would have better uses than building a fab.
>>
>> Then you have to be satisified with Moose turd pie.
>> Or find someone elses facilities.
>>

> Now Eugene, he doesn't need a few billion. He can design his own and
> get help with the gory details, as well as access to a world class fab
> for much less than a few billion.
>
> I would be happy to facilitate the transaction. A few million as
> starters would be sufficient.

Its not even that much. If your a student and smart, you can get a
small IC fabed at a major vendors fab's for _FREE_.
From: Del Cecchi on

"Jeremy Linton" <replytothelist(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Del Cecchi wrote:
>> Eugene Miya wrote:

>>> Then you have to be satisified with Moose turd pie.
>>> Or find someone elses facilities.
>>>

>> Now Eugene, he doesn't need a few billion. He can design his own and
>> get help with the gory details, as well as access to a world class fab
>> for much less than a few billion.
>>
>> I would be happy to facilitate the transaction. A few million as
>> starters would be sufficient.
>
> Its not even that much. If your a student and smart, you can get a
> small IC fabed at a major vendors fab's for _FREE_.

That would be Mosis most likely and you don't get the latest stuff. Or
very many square mm.
If you want 65nm or even maybe 45nm SOI you gotta pay.

del cecchi

From: BDH on
> >> Now Eugene, he doesn't need a few billion. He can design his own and
> >> get help with the gory details, as well as access to a world class fab
> >> for much less than a few billion.
> >>
> >> I would be happy to facilitate the transaction. A few million as
> >> starters would be sufficient.
> >
> > Its not even that much. If your a student and smart, you can get a
> > small IC fabed at a major vendors fab's for _FREE_.
>
> That would be Mosis most likely and you don't get the latest stuff. Or
> very many square mm.
> If you want 65nm or even maybe 45nm SOI you gotta pay.

You need a real chip even for proof of concept of something only very
helpful on a large scale. How much does a real mask cost nowadays?

From: Terje Mathisen on
lynn(a)garlic.com wrote:
> Jan Vorbr?ggen wrote:
>> Yes. Or the thing TMC built - what was it called, The Data Vault?
>
> old post by somebody from long ago and far away
>
> Newsgroups: comp.arch
> Subject: Re: *big iron*
> Date: 28 Sep 89 18:12:07 GMT
>
> Actually, the current DataVaults have 42 drives. Though the bus to
> the DV is 64 bits wide, it is broken down into a 32-bit data path
> inside the DV. There are 32 data drives, 7 ECC drives, and 3 hot
> spares, each of which can be switched into any of the other 39
> channels.

With a 32+7 ECC code they could transparently recover from both
'high-level' writes and misaddressed writes, along with the usual read
errors.

Most RAID systems today depend on the disk itself to tell that there's a
problem with one of the inputs: Recovering from silent faults require
more redundancy.

> We also offer double-capacity DVs with 84 drives; no more bandwidth,
> just a 2nd tier of drives off of each channel.

BTW, how much data were they capable of stuffing onto those 32 (or 64)
data drives at that time? Around a GB/shelf?

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com>