From: BDH on
> This is getting boring. If you can provide evidence for the above claims,
> please do so. Until then, I don't believe that you can, and few other
> experienced people will, either. These are problems that have been
> extensively worked over, there is a lot of money available for a much
> better solution, and nobody has been able to provide one in 30+ years.

So unless I've made a mistake somewhere I have something new? I coulda
sworn this is all in literature somewhere.

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1163336548.916143.53010(a)m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
"BDH" <bhauth(a)gmail.com> writes:

|> So unless I've made a mistake somewhere I have something new? I coulda
|> sworn this is all in literature somewhere.

Yes.

It could well be. One of the reasons that so many of the 'known facts
of computer science' are complete claptrap is that they use a completely
unrealistic model or, in extreme cases, an inconsistent one. As every
competent engineer knows, you can design the most incredible products
if you are allowed to assume an unrealistic model. And as every
competent mathematician knows, you can prove anything using an
inconsistent model.

In the case of sorting, if you have come across the old, bogus argument
that 'proves' that radix sort is always O(N) and comparison sorting is
always O(N log N), I am not surprised that you have got confused. The
same 'logic' can be applied to FFTs, too, to show that they can be done
a lot faster.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: BDH on
So...you suspect I have something new but useless because it uses an
unrealistic model? I thought things were the other way around.

From: BDH on
> In the case of sorting, if you have come across the old, bogus argument
> that 'proves' that radix sort is always O(N) and comparison sorting is
> always O(N log N), I am not surprised that you have got confused. The
> same 'logic' can be applied to FFTs, too, to show that they can be done
> a lot faster.

Your wording is confusing, but anyway I'm pretty sure I'm not making
any mistakes THAT dumb.

From: Jan Vorbrüggen on
> Tape is a way to increase the ratio of memory to read/write speed. When
> that ratio is already very high, why bother? You bother if you're
> recording something continuously on the small chance that you will want
> to rewind to some known point and see what happens, so surveillance and
> backup and that's about it.

Survelliance is now all on harddisks - digital video recorders.

Jan