From: Brian Inglis on
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:00:28 GMT in alt.folklore.computers, Peter
Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:

>Brian Inglis wrote:
>> fOn Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:40:05 -0700 in alt.folklore.computers, glen
>> herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>Brian Inglis wrote:
>>>
>>>(snip on limits in VAX compilers)

>>>Not official, but it looks like 1M rows and 16K columns.

>>>I used it for a project that required it, but mostly I don't use it.
>>>I would say that most problems that require that much data
>>>(more than 256 columns or 64K rows) are better done by processing data
>>>while reading it, not first reading it all in. No matter how big
>>>main memory gets, data sources will always be larger.
>>>
>>>(When I was working on DNA sequence data I once calculate that
>>>the exponential growth in DNA data was faster than Moore's law.
>>>It has been a consistent 1%/week for some years now.)
>>>
>>>There is no visual advantage to 1M rows and 16K columns. There is no
>>>possible way to view it.
>>

>> Long term trend analysis charts?
>> 15 minute samples for a year is over 32K.
>> You'd have to put each year on a separate chart, or another line on
>> the same chart with a good possibility of interference even on a large
>> format plotter.
>
>I hate to say this, but using a spreadsheet for this is like using a
>trowel to dig Lake Mead. I know that "if all you have is a
>screwdriver...", but there are lots of graphics programs that could
>handle this easily. Think SAS, for example.

I don't think I could justify SAS for home, and companies and staff
often have to get by with what's made available; only those with a
larger machine heritage seem to have expensive products like SAS,
because they kept the software around when they downsized machines.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Terence on
Peter Flass wrote:
> I hate to say this, but using a spreadsheet for this is like using a
> trowel to dig Lake Mead. I know that "if all you have is a
> screwdriver...", but there are lots of graphics programs that could
> handle this easily. Think SAS, for example.

With respect to Peter whose note I am only using as an example, I see
comments like this too often to resist replying at this poin, on the
assumptions.

SAS is wonderful, sure.
Excel comes with Microsoft Office and much else.
Winteracter has a great reputation for getting you that GUI you need,
sure.

But WHOS's money will pay for these add-ons to a stunted Fortran?
So many programmers report having several Fortran compilers at their
fingertips, and give indications of having other software systems as
adjuncts,

But the cost of Fortran programming has changed vastly since the early
days.
I remember that a good Fortran compiler would cost a little over $130,
together with one or two good paper manuals; and the AT computer it ran
on cost about.$1300.

And I remember the two Superbrain computers and the later Burroughs B22
I had where the Fortran allowed using the respective graphics cards, so
just the compiler gave me ehat I wanted. I HAD a TUI in those days!

And even with a 1970's mainframe IBM computers, the licence for a
compiler/linker used to be remarkably cheap in comparison with
maintenance or rental costs, even if the output went to a Calcomp.

Bill Gates spotted the software market future and IBM didn't; but the
costs of using Fortran for any scientific work are becoming ridiculous.
If only the compiler vendors would include at least a TUI definition
and preferably a GUI as part of the required standard.

From: AeroSpace Ed on

How can you say this with so many "free" Fortran compilers available??

Not only is there "g77", "gfortran" and "g95", but Intel's and Sun's
compilers are now free (with a few restrictions..)

I vehemently disagree with your post. Now, more than ever is Fortran
accessable to just about anyone, with a low (sometimes, zero) investment.

Ed

From: Gary Scott on
Terence wrote:

> Peter Flass wrote:
>
>>I hate to say this, but using a spreadsheet for this is like using a
>>trowel to dig Lake Mead. I know that "if all you have is a
>>screwdriver...", but there are lots of graphics programs that could
>>handle this easily. Think SAS, for example.
>

> With respect to Peter whose note I am only using as an example, I see
> comments like this too often to resist replying at this poin, on the
> assumptions.
>
> SAS is wonderful, sure.
> Excel comes with Microsoft Office and much else.
> Winteracter has a great reputation for getting you that GUI you need,
> sure.
>
> But WHOS's money will pay for these add-ons to a stunted Fortran?
> So many programmers report having several Fortran compilers at their
> fingertips, and give indications of having other software systems as
> adjuncts,
>
> But the cost of Fortran programming has changed vastly since the early
> days.
> I remember that a good Fortran compiler would cost a little over $130,
> together with one or two good paper manuals; and the AT computer it ran
> on cost about.$1300.
>
> And I remember the two Superbrain computers and the later Burroughs B22
> I had where the Fortran allowed using the respective graphics cards, so
> just the compiler gave me ehat I wanted. I HAD a TUI in those days!
>
> And even with a 1970's mainframe IBM computers, the licence for a
> compiler/linker used to be remarkably cheap in comparison with
> maintenance or rental costs, even if the output went to a Calcomp.
>
> Bill Gates spotted the software market future and IBM didn't; but the
> costs of using Fortran for any scientific work are becoming ridiculous.
> If only the compiler vendors would include at least a TUI definition
> and preferably a GUI as part of the required standard.

It all comes down to market size. Make the programming masses want to
use Fortran, the market size will increase and the prices will come
down. This means "improving" the language sufficiently that evangelists
can begin to turn the tide of "common knowledge" about the deficiencies
of Fortran back.

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott(a)sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

Why are there two? God only knows.

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford
From: Brooks Moses on
Gary Scott wrote:
> It all comes down to market size. Make the programming masses want to
> use Fortran, the market size will increase and the prices will come
> down. This means "improving" the language sufficiently that evangelists
> can begin to turn the tide of "common knowledge" about the deficiencies
> of Fortran back.

And there's also the pretty key point that most of people's complaints
here about "stunted Fortran" seem to be about things that are handled by
OS-interface libraries, not by the langauge itself. The C-compatibility
bits of F2003 are fairly significant for fixing that, I think.

Beyond that, I think there's a sort of fundamental issue that Fortran's
big strengths are in number-crunching of various forms -- those are the
places where it's "much better than" rather than just "as good as" --
and that's not really exciting to most of the "programming masses",
because it's not what they do.

I think Fortran's other big -- and largely unsung -- strength is its
development model. As modern languages go, it's a little behind the
state of the art, and will probably continue to be so (and I think this
is probably a good thing). But it's also backward compatible for three
decades. Thus, if I'm starting a new project today, and I expect that
in three decades I'll want to be using large parts of it in stuff that's
programmed with a relatively modern language three decades hence, I
think there's really only one clear choice. C++ will be quite old by
then, C will remain a painfully low-level language, and who knows where
today's popular things will be. Fortran will still be a decade behind
being up-to-date, and will be backward compatible.

- Brooks