From: Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj on
Greg Lindahl wrote:

> In article <lAe1h.41674$X11.28864(a)bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
> Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj <urjlew(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>I don't know that there is a 'usual method' for quoting
>>in that situation.
>

> It goes like this:
>
> In article <lAe1h.41674$X11.28864(a)bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
> Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj <urjlew(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>I don't know that there is a 'usual method' for quoting
>>in that situation.
>

> Talk about the first quote.
>
> In article <lAe1h.41674$X11.28864(a)bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
> Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj <urjlew(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>I don't know that there is a 'usual method' for quoting
>>in that situation.
>

> Talk about the second quote.
>
> The important part is preserving the leading >, that's a signal to
> anyone replying that they need to preserve the attribution.
>
> -- greg

Which clears things up about as much as stirring a mudhole
with an eggbeater. :)

From: Charles Richmond on
Brian Inglis wrote:

> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]
>
> ...and ISTR their standard drivers went haywire if you didn't clip or
> scale the vectors to the paper width: drew right down the edge of the
> paper, then started drawing from wherever they ended up, a few feet
> away from where they should be plotting.
>
> I'm a big fan of previewing, to avoid including insignificant outlying
> data, and autoscaling, to be able to show all of the data, regardless
> of output media size.
> Nice to be able to view project plans a few feet high and umpty feet
> long on the wall.

"Back in the day", at a PPoE, we taped strips of "butcher paper"
to the wall and used Magic Markers to draw our project plans and
flows. These were umpty-ump feet wide and tall.

From: Charles Richmond on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

> In article <1162080057.213334.46970(a)f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "Terence" <tbwright(a)cantv.net> wrote:
> >Peter Flass wrote:
> >> I hate to say this, but using a spreadsheet for this is like using a
> >> trowel to dig Lake Mead. I know that "if all you have is a
> >> screwdriver...", but there are lots of graphics programs that could
> >> handle this easily. Think SAS, for example.
> >
> >With respect to Peter whose note I am only using as an example, I see
> >comments like this too often to resist replying at this poin, on the
> >assumptions.
> >
> >SAS is wonderful, sure.
> >Excel comes with Microsoft Office and much else.
> >Winteracter has a great reputation for getting you that GUI you need,
> >sure.
> >
> >But WHOS's money will pay for these add-ons to a stunted Fortran?
> >So many programmers report having several Fortran compilers at their
> >fingertips, and give indications of having other software systems as
> >adjuncts,
>
> <snip>
>
> >Bill Gates spotted the software market future and IBM didn't; but the
> >costs of using Fortran for any scientific work are becoming ridiculous.
>
> <snip>
>
> What lanugage do you think scientists use instead of FORTRAN?

I saw a documentary about Stepben Hawking from 15 or so years
ago, and his folks were using Pascal. I also understand that
Algol used to be *very* popular in Europe for scientific
programming. AFAIK, FORTRAN was *not* so popular in Europe as
it was in the US.

I knew several engineering graduate students in the late 70's,
and understand that programming work for their theses *had* to
be done in FORTRAN. The thesis would be rejected if the software
was done in another language.

From: Peter Flass on
Greg Lindahl wrote:
> In article <l711h.488$xw1.226(a)twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Now fewer and fewer people develop software that is used by more and
>>more people. The market for compilers is becoming more limited, but the
>>cost of developing a compiler is not decreasing nearly as rapidly, so
>>the prices of commercial compilers have jumped.
>

> I don't think there's proof of any of this.

Well, you're right. I should have said "IMHO." I think we can take it
as fact that the percentage of computer users who ptogram has been
declining sharply, however.

From: Brian Inglis on
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:34:39 -0600 in alt.folklore.computers, Charles
Richmond <richchas(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>Brian Inglis wrote:
>>
>> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]
>>
>> ...and ISTR their standard drivers went haywire if you didn't clip or
>> scale the vectors to the paper width: drew right down the edge of the
>> paper, then started drawing from wherever they ended up, a few feet
>> away from where they should be plotting.
>>
>> I'm a big fan of previewing, to avoid including insignificant outlying
>> data, and autoscaling, to be able to show all of the data, regardless
>> of output media size.
>> Nice to be able to view project plans a few feet high and umpty feet
>> long on the wall.
>>
>"Back in the day", at a PPoE, we taped strips of "butcher paper"
>to the wall and used Magic Markers to draw our project plans and
>flows. These were umpty-ump feet wide and tall.

But so lo-tech! ;^>

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply