From: Brian Inglis on
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:07:40 +0200 in alt.folklore.computers, Jan
Vorbr?ggen <jvorbrueggen(a)not-mediasec.de> wrote:

>> In the extreme case, suppose N=2, which with 8bit chars allows
>> up to ~32000 unique external names. With the F90 liberal rules
>> some F90 Fortran program might exceed the system design constraints
>> and become impossible to do. :)
>
>A bug was filed against DEC's Fortran compiler - IIRC, it even was the one for
>the VAX - because the compiler failed with an internal error on a program
>unit. This happened because the compiler uses 16-bit indices into its symbol
>table, and this program unit defined more than 65535 names.

VMS had a number of these boneheaded mini-computer heritages of one
and two byte hardcoded limits, including a limit of 255 spool queues
for all purposes: kind of limiting when even moderate sized companies
have more than 255 printers scattered around the LAN. MVS/zOS/JES(2)
also has/had a similar limit on spool devices per system; don't know
about JES3. What would have been so wrong with using machine words on
these virtual memory systems? Weren't they meant to free us from all
these arbitrary limits?

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Brian Inglis wrote:

(snip)

> VMS had a number of these boneheaded mini-computer heritages of one
> and two byte hardcoded limits, including a limit of 255 spool queues
> for all purposes: kind of limiting when even moderate sized companies
> have more than 255 printers scattered around the LAN. MVS/zOS/JES(2)
> also has/had a similar limit on spool devices per system; don't know
> about JES3. What would have been so wrong with using machine words on
> these virtual memory systems? Weren't they meant to free us from all
> these arbitrary limits?

Excel through 2003 still has a limit of 256 columns and 65536 rows,
no matter how much memory, real or virtual, you have.

I understand this will be increases in 2007.

-- glen

From: Brian Inglis on
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:57:00 -0700 in alt.folklore.computers, glen
herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
>> VMS had a number of these boneheaded mini-computer heritages of one
>> and two byte hardcoded limits, including a limit of 255 spool queues
>> for all purposes: kind of limiting when even moderate sized companies
>> have more than 255 printers scattered around the LAN. MVS/zOS/JES(2)
>> also has/had a similar limit on spool devices per system; don't know
>> about JES3. What would have been so wrong with using machine words on
>> these virtual memory systems? Weren't they meant to free us from all
>> these arbitrary limits?
>
>Excel through 2003 still has a limit of 256 columns and 65536 rows,
>no matter how much memory, real or virtual, you have.
>
>I understand this will be increases in 2007.

They went up from 32K to 64K rows did they?
Gave up on Excel years ago for high volume data.
Still use it for lots of other things.
And to think in the early 1980s accountants were loading their monthly
transactions into spreadsheets (inc. 3D page col row e.g. 5F9) in
*16MB* VMs, as 1-2-3 only supported a single sheet in a few MB
expanded: look how far we've progressed!

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Brian Inglis wrote:

(snip on limits in VAX compilers)

>>Excel through 2003 still has a limit of 256 columns and 65536 rows,
>>no matter how much memory, real or virtual, you have.

>>I understand this will be increases in 2007.

> They went up from 32K to 64K rows did they?

Not official, but it looks like 1M rows and 16K columns.

> Gave up on Excel years ago for high volume data.

I used it for a project that required it, but mostly I don't use it.
I would say that most problems that require that much data
(more than 256 columns or 64K rows) are better done by processing data
while reading it, not first reading it all in. No matter how big
main memory gets, data sources will always be larger.

(When I was working on DNA sequence data I once calculate that
the exponential growth in DNA data was faster than Moore's law.
It has been a consistent 1%/week for some years now.)

There is no visual advantage to 1M rows and 16K columns. There is no
possible way to view it.

-- glen

From: Gary Scott on
glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> Brian Inglis wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> VMS had a number of these boneheaded mini-computer heritages of one
>> and two byte hardcoded limits, including a limit of 255 spool queues
>> for all purposes: kind of limiting when even moderate sized companies
>> have more than 255 printers scattered around the LAN. MVS/zOS/JES(2)
>> also has/had a similar limit on spool devices per system; don't know
>> about JES3. What would have been so wrong with using machine words on
>> these virtual memory systems? Weren't they meant to free us from all
>> these arbitrary limits?
>

> Excel through 2003 still has a limit of 256 columns and 65536 rows,
> no matter how much memory, real or virtual, you have.
>
> I understand this will be increases in 2007.
>
> -- glen

I've never had problem with the row limit myself, but that column limit
has been a PITA forever.

--

Gary Scott
mailto:garylscott(a)sbcglobal dot net

Fortran Library: http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project: http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

Why are there two? God only knows.

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford