From: Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj on
Brooks Moses wrote:

> Gary Scott wrote:
>
>> It all comes down to market size. Make the programming masses want to
>> use Fortran, the market size will increase and the prices will come
>> down. This means "improving" the language sufficiently that
>> evangelists can begin to turn the tide of "common knowledge" about the
>> deficiencies of Fortran back.
>

> And there's also the pretty key point that most of people's complaints
> here about "stunted Fortran" seem to be about things that are handled by
> OS-interface libraries, not by the langauge itself. The C-compatibility
> bits of F2003 are fairly significant for fixing that, I think.
>
> Beyond that, I think there's a sort of fundamental issue that Fortran's
> big strengths are in number-crunching of various forms -- those are the
> places where it's "much better than" rather than just "as good as" --
> and that's not really exciting to most of the "programming masses",
> because it's not what they do.
>
> I think Fortran's other big -- and largely unsung -- strength is its
> development model. As modern languages go, it's a little behind the
> state of the art, and will probably continue to be so (and I think this
> is probably a good thing). But it's also backward compatible for three
> decades. Thus, if I'm starting a new project today, and I expect that
> in three decades I'll want to be using large parts of it in stuff that's
> programmed with a relatively modern language three decades hence, I
> think there's really only one clear choice. C++ will be quite old by
> then, C will remain a painfully low-level language, and who knows where
> today's popular things will be. Fortran will still be a decade behind
> being up-to-date, and will be backward compatible.
>
> - Brooks

Not if some of the modernizers get their way :)
Another thing is that the older Fortrans were fairly small and simple
so that not-a-programming-professionals could get their heads around
it and write pretty good programs. The recent elaborations have indeed
enriched the language. But...
--
Rostyk

From: Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj on
Richard Maine wrote:

> Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj <urjlew(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>Anyway, Fortran is now a part of the GCC suite of compilers,
>>referenced as g77; but it supports the F66, F77 and F90 standards.

Wrong attribution. Those are someone elses words.
But, on behalf of the group, thanks for the correction anyway.

From: AeroSpace Ed on
This post is confusing, and later on you chide Richard for a wrong
attribution. It looks like that's because this post is a mutation of
something. I quite figure out who's other post that you've quoted.

On top of that I'm no longer sure what or who is complaining that Fortran
development tools are too expensive. I use Linux. My compiler, linker,
build system, graphic libraries, widget sets are all "free". So I just
don't understand who's complaining about what.

Ed

From: Greg Lindahl on
In article <45452F5A.6050503(a)bellsouth.net>,
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj <urjlew(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Wrong attribution. Those are someone elses words.
>But, on behalf of the group, thanks for the correction anyway.

It's worth pointing out that your unusual quoting was the cause.
Please follow the usual Usenet method of quoting.

-- greg

From: Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj on
Greg Lindahl wrote:

> In article <45452F5A.6050503(a)bellsouth.net>,
> Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj <urjlew(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>Wrong attribution. Those are someone elses words.
>>But, on behalf of the group, thanks for the correction anyway.
>

> It's worth pointing out that your unusual quoting was the cause.
> Please follow the usual Usenet method of quoting.
>
> -- greg

Mea Culpa. I was trying to combine the answers from three
different posters, thank them all at one time and then add
my new comments.
I don't know that there is a 'usual method' for quoting
in that situation.