From: km on
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 19:00:30 -0700, Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>km wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:38:10 -0600, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>> I can see a day where instead of printing things on
>>> paper we will just squirt them to eBook readers.
>>>
>>> Agree? Disagree? What you think?
>>
>> Very much doubt it.
>>
>> When computers first came to the fore a similar argument was used
>> about using paper ie there would be no need for it as the image could
>> be viewed on screen.
>>
>> From my own experience and by the number of outlets now selling paper
>> I would say that more paper has been used with the arrival of
>> computers, than less.
>
>Possibly there may come a day when you can take digital readers etc.
>into the throne room for reading.

Another place where paper is king

km
From: Arthur Entlich on
I have to admit I find digital toilet paper scratchy (maybe I need a
higher resolution version), and the virtual stuff doesn't make it at all ;-)

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Michael J Davis on
Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net> was inspired to say
>km wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:38:10 -0600, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>> I can see a day where instead of printing things on
>>> paper we will just squirt them to eBook readers.
>>>
>>> Agree? Disagree? What you think?
>> Very much doubt it.
>> When computers first came to the fore a similar argument was used
>> about using paper ie there would be no need for it as the image could
>> be viewed on screen.
>> From my own experience and by the number of outlets now selling
>>paper
>> I would say that more paper has been used with the arrival of
>> computers, than less.
>
>Possibly there may come a day when you can take digital readers etc.
>into the throne room for reading.

I can't think what all the fuss is about. I've been downloading books
from Gutenberg library for over ten years and reading them on my Psion -
first a 3a, and then my 5mx. Anywhere!

It's just a pity that Psion stopped making their organisers. But I have
a spare!

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

<><
Another day over. Objectives fulfilled. Deadlines met.
Pigs fed and ready for take off.
<><
From: DevilsPGD on
In message <zjjBUjB7rkHLFwL5(a)trustsof.co.uk.invalid> Michael J Davis
<mjdusenet(a)trustsof.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:

>I can't think what all the fuss is about. I've been downloading books
>from Gutenberg library for over ten years and reading them on my Psion -
>first a 3a, and then my 5mx. Anywhere!

The fuss is that the dedicated gadgets tend to have
better-for-reading-text screens, significantly better battery life, and
the possibility of better form-factors and interfaces.

I'm sticking with my iPhone for eBook reading right now, although I am
drooling over a Nook.