From: me on
I can see a day where instead of printing things on
paper we will just squirt them to eBook readers.

Agree? Disagree? What you think?
From: Ato_Zee on

On 6-Dec-2009, me(a)privacy.net wrote:

> I can see a day where instead of printing things on
> paper we will just squirt them to eBook readers.

Not with todays eBook's. A physical paper book gives you
random access to multiple pages and page groups. Keep
your finger is one place, and open at another, you can
even put another finger in there, and open another page.
So for "how do I do" with instructions spread out
throughout the book, a physical book is best.
For a novel or potboiler to read on the train an eBook
reader might be fine. But will you stop and wait to get
your favourite magazine loaded at W H Smith when
your train is filling fast and due out in 2 minutes?
Better is swipe the magazines barcode and swipe
your electronic Oyster type wallet, or nearfield
electronic wallet, mobile phone.
Which is where Tesco's self-service checkout falls
down, with RF tags it could total your basket, and
one swipe of your elecrtronic wallet would pay for
your purchases. Tesco is still stuck in the middle
ages, a retail dinosaur. Only fit for the Flintstone's of
this world.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Agree? Disagree? What you think?

I would have to say that I doubt it--at least for most of the foreseeable
future. Paper and printing have a lot of things going for them...in
particular, it's easy and fast to print something, and you can easily hand
out the result without any great loss (other than the possible loss of
information that might have been private) should the paper be lost, damaged,
stolen or discarded. No requirement (other than the ability to see and read)
is placed on the recipient--paper is pretty well universal. It also doesn't
require batteries, run out of power at inoportune times, or have any
problems with incompatibility between competing platforms.

If I had an eBook device, I'd think twice about "squirting" something to it
and handing it out to someone. And I think it's also quite likely that the
technology involved in doing so might not work as smoothly as simply
printing the information out and being done with it.

William

From: km on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:38:10 -0600, me(a)privacy.net wrote:

>I can see a day where instead of printing things on
>paper we will just squirt them to eBook readers.
>
>Agree? Disagree? What you think?

Very much doubt it.

When computers first came to the fore a similar argument was used
about using paper ie there would be no need for it as the image could
be viewed on screen.

From my own experience and by the number of outlets now selling paper
I would say that more paper has been used with the arrival of
computers, than less.

km
From: Lon on
km wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:38:10 -0600, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>
>> I can see a day where instead of printing things on
>> paper we will just squirt them to eBook readers.
>>
>> Agree? Disagree? What you think?
>
> Very much doubt it.
>
> When computers first came to the fore a similar argument was used
> about using paper ie there would be no need for it as the image could
> be viewed on screen.
>
> From my own experience and by the number of outlets now selling paper
> I would say that more paper has been used with the arrival of
> computers, than less.

Possibly there may come a day when you can take digital readers etc.
into the throne room for reading.