From: mfb on
I'm posting from my laptop. My wife's desktop is running Win XP SP3 and
recently started running excruciatingly slow. I've been busy and not able to
look at it until this weekend.
I've been reading some of the posts in this forum which seem similar. I've
noticed that when viewing the Processes tab in Task Manager that CPU Usage is
always 100% and that the process which is almost always much higher
precentage (typically 70-100%) than any others is SYSTEM. Doing the same test
on my laptop I find that the System Idle process is highest (typically
80-100%).
I've tried various ways to isolate it, including Powersite from Uniblue
with no success. I'm suspecting malware but reluctant to reinstall Windows
unless I have more confidence that will resolve this problem.
Can someone help advise me?
Thanks in advance.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:43:01 -0700, mfb
<mfb(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm posting from my laptop. My wife's desktop is running Win XP SP3 and
> recently started running excruciatingly slow. I've been busy and not able to
> look at it until this weekend.
> I've been reading some of the posts in this forum which seem similar. I've
> noticed that when viewing the Processes tab in Task Manager that CPU Usage is
> always 100% and that the process which is almost always much higher
> precentage (typically 70-100%) than any others is SYSTEM. Doing the same test
> on my laptop I find that the System Idle process is highest (typically
> 80-100%).
> I've tried various ways to isolate it, including Powersite from Uniblue
> with no success. I'm suspecting malware but reluctant to reinstall Windows
> unless I have more confidence that will resolve this problem.
> Can someone help advise me?

"System Idle Process" is not any problem at all. That's just the name
for what the system is doing when it's not doing anything. It's there
just to make the total add up to 100%

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Daave on
mfb wrote:
> I'm posting from my laptop. My wife's desktop is running Win XP SP3
> and recently started running excruciatingly slow. I've been busy and
> not able to look at it until this weekend.
> I've been reading some of the posts in this forum which seem similar.
> I've noticed that when viewing the Processes tab in Task Manager that
> CPU Usage is always 100% and that the process which is almost always
> much higher precentage (typically 70-100%) than any others is SYSTEM.
> Doing the same test on my laptop I find that the System Idle process
> is highest (typically 80-100%).
> I've tried various ways to isolate it, including Powersite from
> Uniblue with no success. I'm suspecting malware but reluctant to
> reinstall Windows unless I have more confidence that will resolve
> this problem.
> Can someone help advise me?
> Thanks in advance.

Configure a Clean Boot and systematically add back processes/programs
until you find the culprit:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

From: LDS5ZRA on

The machine is telling you that it is time to reformat the HD and
start everything all over again from base zero. The normal
caveats apply namely: Copy your important documents, pictures,
music files and videos. Also make a list of applications and
their serial numbers. Make sure you have all CDs or other media
to install these applications. Also make sure the CDs are nor
defective.

Hope this helps but if you have any need to access any old,
unworkable solutions, by Pig-Bear, Microsoft Valuable Pig. or his
fellow pigs, then google have full archive available for next 7
years.

The link to the archive is here:

<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/topics?lnk=srg&hl=en>

Please also note that Pig-Bear or his associates will delete this
message as soon as they read it because they are a very sensitive
idiots around here. Everything affects them and this gives us
pleasure to put more pressure on them. Watch the space.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LDS5ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LDS5ZRA 2010.
From: Richard in AZ on
I am not one of those "Microsoft Valuable Pigs" and you refer to them,
but your response is totally off the mark and you should keep your bias opinions to yourself.
There is a problem, and most likely it can be solved with out a total rebuild of the system.
Why don't you just put your head back in that black hole and let someone with skill get the
information needed and give the OP useful information.