From: Christopher Muto on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is a common problem. I used to have it regularly when attempting
> to print to a shared printer on a machine running Windows 98 from a
> Windows NT (NT/2000/XP/Vista/7) machine. It can also happen any time
> the versions of Windows on each end differ.
>
> Here's how I solved it.
>
> 1. Install the printer driver on the computer that you will be
> connecting to the shared printer. Set it up as a local printer and
> attach it to LPT1. This isn't right but we'll fix that later. Don't
> choose to print a test page or anything like that, as it won't work.
> If the driver is built into Windows, you can just use the wizard to
> choose it. If the driver requires that you run a setup program to
> install it, you may have to temporarily connect the printer. Whatever
> the case, just get the printer to show up in the Printers folder
> somehow.
>
> 2. Go into the printer properties from the Printers folder and
> navigate to the "ports" tab.
>
> 3. Choose to add a "Local Port" and click the "New Port" button.
>
> 4. Type the name of the computer and the shared printer into the box
> that appears asking for a port name. You'd type it like this:
>
> \\computer\printer
>
> replacing "computer" with the actual computer name and "printer" with
> the name you are using to share the printer.
>
> 5. Click OK.
>
> 6. Now, assuming that you have rights to access the computer, you
> should be able to hit OK until you are out of the printer properties
> sheet. Go back and choose to print a test page. With any luck, it will
> work. It has for me across a wide variety of printers.
>
> In future, you might consider buying a printer with a built in network
> card. A lot of printers sold today have them, and they're not
> expensive. That's something to think about when your current printer
> wears out...
>
> William

williams suggestion is on the right track but here is a more direct way
to accomplish installation of the printer in windows 7 along with some
other relevant information...
first, the hp 3380 is an all in one laserjet that is not fully supported
by windows 7 unless directly connected to a windows pc with a usb cable.
as a network device it only serves as a printer.* in other words, the
best you can do is make the new inspiron 17 print over the network to
the hp 3380 that is connected to the xps 410. you can not make it scan
or fax over the network (note: hp emailed me last week about new windows
7 drivers that are supposed to make it 'fully functional' but i suspect
that that even if that is true it will not make it fully functional as a
network device).
with that understanding her is the simplest way to install the networked
hp 3380 printer installed on the new inspiron 17 windows 7 laptop:
Assumming that your new laptop and old xps 410 desktop use the same
'workgroup' name then simply click start, click
start-devicesandprinters, click addaprinterm click addanetworkprinter
and wait for the list to populate. next, select the printer from the list.
if the printer does not appear in the list (or you become impatient
waiting for it to appear) click theprinterthatiwantisntlisted
click selectasharedprinterby name and enter the
"\\computername\printername" wihtout the quotes.
windows 7 should identify the printer and install the built in universal
hp laserjet printer driver. this driver is not as refined as what is on
the windows xp machine but it is ok for basic printing needs.

* and for what it is worth is only supported as a printer in the latest
version of osx even if directly connected with a usb cable.
From: Ben Myers on
On 4/26/2010 9:39 PM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I recommended a USB print server, which would also solve the same
>> problem with a Mac running OS X... Ben
>
> Unfortunately, it's not that easy. The Macintosh treats every printer as
> though it is a Postscript device. Those devices that aren't have their
> output piped through a software filter until it meets what the printer
> expects. (Many HP printers do this.)
>
> If you install the printer through any kind of print server, chances are
> good that the manufacturer's setup tool won't work. So then you get raw
> Postscript (or nothing at all, if the printer has to have all of its image
> processing done by the computer) and nothing works.
>
> I suppose that there might be some way to cobble it together using the
> underlying Unix console, profanity, loads of paper and ink, several hours,
> coffee, (pills, and cigarettes for the really desperate) and did I mention
> copious quantities of swearing? In the end, you'd be money ahead to buy a
> printer that supports Postscript natively (because then it *will* work even
> when the manufacturer has forgotten they made it) or to buy a printer that
> is network ready for PC, Macintosh and other users.
>
> William

The printer in question, a Canon Pixma 170 (or something like that) has
a driver package on the Canon web site, so there is some reasonable hope
here.

What you've said underscores an important point that many disregard to
their own peril. If you want to print in a cross-platform environment
among Windows (especially different versions), Linux, Mac OS and
whatever else, spend a few extra bucks and buy a networked (or
networkable) native Postscript printer. Saves a lot of time and effort
downstream. And TIME = MONEY... Ben Myers
From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
It I can get them to recognize each other again, I'll give this a try.
the HP 3380 hooked up to the new Win7 laptop works fine. Best, Bob

From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi Ben,
The print server may be what I need. I checked NewEgg and they have
the following:
IOGEAR GPSU21 1-Port Print Server RJ45 USB 2.0
My question before I buy is the RJ45 connection is hooked up to the
router on one of its LAN inputs? The only RJ45 connection on the
desktop has the cable from the Verizon router (FIOS). I assume the
USB port on the server is attached to the printer. Just want to make
sure prior to purchasing. My wife needs print capability on her Win7
laptop. Thanks in advance. Bob

From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi Christopher,
Yep, she only needs print capability. Actually there are two work
groups, the XP is MSHOME and the Win7 is WORKGROUP. At one time I
could recognize each other on the other computer, but now I can not
find all the computers on the network on either computer. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance, I am a network newbie! Best, Bob