From: Christopher Muto on
Robert L. Altic Jr. wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
> I followed your directions on my wifes new Inspiron 17 laptop with
> Win7 and my XPS Studio laptop also with Win7. At the time this
> morning, my XP desktop and the laptops recognized each other and both
> the laptops printed on the printer. Hurrah!! All we want is print
> function, I really don't use the printer for anything but printing and
> copying. Then I rebooted both laptops, and the older XPS Studio
> continued to be able to print, but the new Inspiron would not find the
> network or the printer. I compared the network setup for both the
> laptops and they look identical, but something must be different. Both
> are running Norton 360 and should be set the same. I am very happy to
> get my XPS laptop to print, never have been able to do that before.
> Can not figure out what is going on with the new Inspiron. I am now
> thinking that the print server may be the way to go and eliminate
> having to deal with trying to get XP and Win7 to play nicely with each
> other. That was the reason for my question concerning the Iogear
> server. Am I correct in assuming the print server connects to the LAN
> port on the router, and the USB cable goes to the printer. Then all
> the computers attach to the printer via the router and don't go
> through the XP desktop computer at all, thus avoiding the XP vs Win7
> conflicts? As you can tell, I really don't know squat about networks,
> and have learned much more than I ever wanted to know in the last
> couple of days!! The cost of the print server is not an issue, I just
> need to RELIABLY connect to the printer from my wife's laptop so she
> can print documents on the HP3380 downstairs in my office. Many
> thanks for you patience and help. Best, Bob
>

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:44:30 -0400, Christopher Muto
> <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Robert L. Altic Jr. wrote:
>>> Hi Ben,
>>> The print server may be what I need. I checked NewEgg and they have
>>> the following:
>>> IOGEAR GPSU21 1-Port Print Server RJ45 USB 2.0
>>> My question before I buy is the RJ45 connection is hooked up to the
>>> router on one of its LAN inputs? The only RJ45 connection on the
>>> desktop has the cable from the Verizon router (FIOS). I assume the
>>> USB port on the server is attached to the printer. Just want to make
>>> sure prior to purchasing. My wife needs print capability on her Win7
>>> laptop. Thanks in advance. Bob

>> did you read my comment about limited network functionality of this
>> all-in-one device when used across a network? with this device it will
>> only have print functionality. you should be able to get the thing to
>> print from the new windows 7 laptop to the printer as currently
>> connected to the xps 410 desktop as detailed in my previously post.

in theory the print server should work, but so should your current
configuration. i think that the print server isn't going to magically
make your life any easier because my feeling is that norton is the
source of your problems. a simple way to check is to open norton and
disable it completely, or at least disable the firewall component. if
you can print with norton disabled then you know for certain that norton
is the culprit. you should be able to configure the norton firewall to
set your local lan as a trusted zone which would allow for the computers
to 'see' each other and allow you to print.