From: Christopher Muto on
Robert L. Altic Jr. wrote:
> [...]
> IOGEAR GPSU21 1-Port Print Server RJ45 USB 2.0
> My question before I buy is the RJ45 connection is hooked up to the
> router on one of its LAN inputs? The only RJ45 connection on the
> desktop has the cable from the Verizon router (FIOS). I assume the
> USB port on the server is attached to the printer. Just want to make
> sure prior to purchasing. My wife needs print capability on her Win7
> laptop. Thanks in advance. Bob
>

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:37:51 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/26/2010 1:29 PM, William R. Walsh wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> This is a common problem. I used to have it regularly when attempting
>>> to print to a shared printer on a machine running Windows 98 from a
>>> Windows NT (NT/2000/XP/Vista/7) machine. It can also happen any time
>>> the versions of Windows on each end differ.
>>>
>>> Here's how I solved it.
>>>
>>> 1. Install the printer driver on the computer that you will be
>>> connecting to the shared printer. Set it up as a local printer and
>>> attach it to LPT1. This isn't right but we'll fix that later. Don't
>>> choose to print a test page or anything like that, as it won't work.
>>> If the driver is built into Windows, you can just use the wizard to
>>> choose it. If the driver requires that you run a setup program to
>>> install it, you may have to temporarily connect the printer. Whatever
>>> the case, just get the printer to show up in the Printers folder
>>> somehow.
>>>
>>> 2. Go into the printer properties from the Printers folder and
>>> navigate to the "ports" tab.
>>>
>>> 3. Choose to add a "Local Port" and click the "New Port" button.
>>>
>>> 4. Type the name of the computer and the shared printer into the box
>>> that appears asking for a port name. You'd type it like this:
>>>
>>> \\computer\printer
>>>
>>> replacing "computer" with the actual computer name and "printer" with
>>> the name you are using to share the printer.
>>>
>>> 5. Click OK.
>>>
>>> 6. Now, assuming that you have rights to access the computer, you
>>> should be able to hit OK until you are out of the printer properties
>>> sheet. Go back and choose to print a test page. With any luck, it will
>>> work. It has for me across a wide variety of printers.
>>>
>>> In future, you might consider buying a printer with a built in network
>>> card. A lot of printers sold today have them, and they're not
>>> expensive. That's something to think about when your current printer
>>> wears out...
>>>
>>> William
>> I've done something similar to your description for XP Home (and
>> similar) users. Encountered one today that simply may not work. Got a
>> Canon inkjet connected to a Vista Home box for the family. Owner has a
>> laptop which is a member of a Novell NETWARE (ugh!) domain. How to
>> print to the printer on the Vista Home computer? I recommended a USB
>> print server, which would also solve the same problem with a Mac running

did you read my comment about limited network functionality of this
all-in-one device when used across a network? with this device it will
only have print functionality. you should be able to get the thing to
print from the new windows 7 laptop to the printer as currently
connected to the xps 410 desktop as detailed in my previously post.
From: Christopher Muto on
Robert L. Altic Jr. wrote:
> [...]
>>> the case, just get the printer to show up in the Printers folder
>>> somehow.
>>>
>>> 2. Go into the printer properties from the Printers folder and
>>> navigate to the "ports" tab.
>>>
>>> 3. Choose to add a "Local Port" and click the "New Port" button.
>>>
>>> 4. Type the name of the computer and the shared printer into the box
>>> that appears asking for a port name. You'd type it like this:
>>>
>>> \\computer\printer
>>>
>>> replacing "computer" with the actual computer name and "printer" with
>>> the name you are using to share the printer.
>>>
>>> 5. Click OK.
>>>
>>> 6. Now, assuming that you have rights to access the computer, you
>>> should be able to hit OK until you are out of the printer properties
>>> sheet. Go back and choose to print a test page. With any luck, it will
>>> work. It has for me across a wide variety of printers.
>>>
>>> In future, you might consider buying a printer with a built in network
>>> card. A lot of printers sold today have them, and they're not
>>> expensive. That's something to think about when your current printer
>>> wears out...
>>>
>>> William
>> williams suggestion is on the right track but here is a more direct way
>> to accomplish installation of the printer in windows 7 along with some
>> other relevant information...
>> first, the hp 3380 is an all in one laserjet that is not fully supported
>> by windows 7 unless directly connected to a windows pc with a usb cable.
>> as a network device it only serves as a printer.* in other words, the
>> best you can do is make the new inspiron 17 print over the network to
>> the hp 3380 that is connected to the xps 410. you can not make it scan
>> or fax over the network (note: hp emailed me last week about new windows
>> 7 drivers that are supposed to make it 'fully functional' but i suspect
>> that that even if that is true it will not make it fully functional as a
>> network device).
>> with that understanding her is the simplest way to install the networked
>> hp 3380 printer installed on the new inspiron 17 windows 7 laptop:
>> Assumming that your new laptop and old xps 410 desktop use the same
>> 'workgroup' name then simply click start, click
>> start-devicesandprinters, click addaprinterm click addanetworkprinter
>> and wait for the list to populate. next, select the printer from the list.
>> if the printer does not appear in the list (or you become impatient
>> waiting for it to appear) click theprinterthatiwantisntlisted
>> click selectasharedprinterby name and enter the
>> "\\computername\printername" wihtout the quotes.
>> windows 7 should identify the printer and install the built in universal
>> hp laserjet printer driver. this driver is not as refined as what is on
>> the windows xp machine but it is ok for basic printing needs.
>>
>> * and for what it is worth is only supported as a printer in the latest
>> version of osx even if directly connected with a usb cable.

normally i would suggest changing the workgroup name on all computers on
your home's peer to peer network to 'workgroup', but since i have no
idea how many other computers you have in the group i would suggest
simply changing the new inspiron 17 with windows 7 from its default
workgroup name of 'workgroup' to the workgroup name of "mshome' to match
your other exisitng systems.
click 'start'
point to 'computer' in the right hand collumn and then right-click
click 'properties'
to the right of 'computer name, domain, and workgroup settings' click
'change settings'
the 'system properties' window will open and under the 'computer' tab
click 'change' to change the workgroup name found near the bottom of the
windows. save and restart when prompted.
From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi Christopher,
I followed your directions on my wifes new Inspiron 17 laptop with
Win7 and my XPS Studio laptop also with Win7. At the time this
morning, my XP desktop and the laptops recognized each other and both
the laptops printed on the printer. Hurrah!! All we want is print
function, I really don't use the printer for anything but printing and
copying. Then I rebooted both laptops, and the older XPS Studio
continued to be able to print, but the new Inspiron would not find the
network or the printer. I compared the network setup for both the
laptops and they look identical, but something must be different. Both
are running Norton 360 and should be set the same. I am very happy to
get my XPS laptop to print, never have been able to do that before.
Can not figure out what is going on with the new Inspiron. I am now
thinking that the print server may be the way to go and eliminate
having to deal with trying to get XP and Win7 to play nicely with each
other. That was the reason for my question concerning the Iogear
server. Am I correct in assuming the print server connects to the LAN
port on the router, and the USB cable goes to the printer. Then all
the computers attach to the printer via the router and don't go
through the XP desktop computer at all, thus avoiding the XP vs Win7
conflicts? As you can tell, I really don't know squat about networks,
and have learned much more than I ever wanted to know in the last
couple of days!! The cost of the print server is not an issue, I just
need to RELIABLY connect to the printer from my wife's laptop so she
can print documents on the HP3380 downstairs in my office. Many
thanks for you patience and help. Best, Bob

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:44:30 -0400, Christopher Muto

From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi Christopher,
I'll try this. Thanks for the suggestion. Bob

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:05:13 -0400, Christopher Muto

From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi Christopher,
I changed the Workgroup name on the new Inspiron 17 and now it is
recognized on the network and the printer works. I think you have
fixed the problem. Many, many thanks. Best, Bob