From: Nobody on
You can change the file association so your app starts first.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Nobody wrote:

>>> Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less. <eg>
>>>
>>> All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at
>>> them, well...at all. But if you have docs or info related to API or COM
>>> interfaces, send it this way. Maybe we can come up with something.
>>
>> I haven't dug at all yet, either. I'll start collecting interface names,
>> and such, as see where we get! :-)
>
> Maybe it's not necessary to create a type library. In my XP machine, I can
> add a reference to "Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation" which points to
> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll". Using Object Browser, I can see COM based
> shell classes such as ShellLinkObject which is used to manipulate shortcuts.

Now that's just *really* interesting! I've always used a typelib to
get at the ShellLink interface. Without digging in too deeply, does
that avenue let you create new LNK files, or just work with existing
ones? Has that "always" been there, or is it an XP+ feature?

> There are other classes, perhaps in Windows 7 more are listed.

Actually, it looks like some elements disappeared. Just doing an
eyeball comparison, the following classes that exist in XP aren't there
in W7:

IPassportClientServices
ISearchCommandExt
SearchCommand
SearchCommandExecuteErrors

But(!), it does appear the Shell class has quite a few new members in
W7:

AddToRecent
CanStopService
ExplorePolicy
FindPrinter
GetSetting
GetSystemInformation
IsRestricted
IsServiceRunning
ServiceStart
ServiceStop
ShellExecute
ShowBrowserBar
ToggleDesktop
WindowsSecurity
WindowSwitcher

Interesting list! But I'm not seeing a lot that would get me thinking
we could work with the new taskbar differently here, though. This
looks like a fairly up-to-date list of what's there:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb773938%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> C. Kevin Provance wrote:
>>> The problem is, these "APIs" are really some pretty heavy-duty COM, which
>>> is an area I'm not particularly strong in. It's going to take someone
>>> who's very well versed in that to define all the type libraries needed to
>>> do this.
>>
>> Yeah, but you know someone who is, more or less. <eg>
>>
>> All I've seen so far are .Nxt related libraries, so I havn't looked at
>> them, well...at all. But if you have docs or info related to API or COM
>> interfaces, send it this way. Maybe we can come up with something.
>
> I haven't dug at all yet, either. I'll start collecting interface names, and
> such, as see where we get! :-)

This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...

IApplicationDestinations Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378413(v=VS.85).aspx

IApplicationDocumentLists Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378411(v=VS.85).aspx

ICustomDestinationList Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378402(v=VS.85).aspx

ITaskbarList3 Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391692(v=VS.85).aspx

ITaskbarList4 Interface (Windows)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd562040(v=VS.85).aspx

The ITaskbarList3/4 ones seem like they'd offer the most fun to play
with.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote:

>You can change the file association so your app starts first.

Hmm, now there's an interesting idea. The file association being MDB,
MDE, etc. So mucking with it could highly irritate some people.

Hmmmm, and if it's a user created MDB file my VB6 exe could just turn
around and start up Access agonist the MDB.

Interesting idea.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...

Whoa on a sec here. I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
whining voice> don't forget about my problem. Hehehe

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP