From: Larry Serflaten on

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote
> Hmmmm, and if it's a user created MDB file my VB6 exe could just turn
> around and start up Access agonist the MDB.
>
> Interesting idea.

What about the taskbar info? eg, tasks, jumplist, et al. If your one
program is associated with many documents, won't they all show the
same MRU as opposed to the different apps that were being pinned....

???
LFS

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...
>
> Whoa on a sec here. I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
> whining voice> don't forget about my problem. Hehehe

Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.

So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
huh?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>>> This would actually be right up there on the "Interesting!" scale...
>>
>> Whoa on a sec here. I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
>> whining voice> don't forget about my problem. Hehehe
>
>Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
>
>C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>
>Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>
>So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
>huh?

Holy cr*p.

No, the user or my app won't have admin privileges but still might not
be too hard to work around.

Thanks muchly

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Mayayana on

-- |
| C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
shortcuts weren't working in Win7, but I hadn't
bothered to update my installer. (I have a checkbox
to allow for that option.) I wonder if the All Users
version of that path would work as a place
to put a LNK during install?

From: C. Kevin Provance on
:
: C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
: Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
:
: Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
: your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
:
: So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
: huh?

Based on everything I've read regarding this issue, merely dropping a file, lnk or otherwise in that folder will not accomplish the desired result. Apparently, it's only one piece part of a much larger puzzle. Chen posted at some point the exact same thing. There are APIs that deal with the whole "pinning" feature that are under lock and key, specifically for the reason MSFT doesn't want abuse of the feature, like quicklaunch.

I would have looked into it deeper, but I no longer have a working copy of Win7. <eg>