From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>
>Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.

I finally got around to looking at this. There are two types of
pinning allowed. The app, ie msaccess.exe, and the actual file, ie
test.mdb. You can see the msaccess.exe (actually MS Office xxxx) in
the above mentioned folder.

But you can't see the individually pinned files. I can't see those as
files anywhere inside the user profile. Or the registry.

I'm not at all sure I want my program to muck with removing the pinned
MS Access shortcut from the taskbar. Just in case the user is a power
user who legitimately has their own Access files they don't want
others to muck with. I'd far, far sooner just replace the pinned
file shortcut with the launcher line to my Auto FE Updater exe.

So I'm starting to think those pinned files might be in the NTFS
hidden data space. You wrote an article on that a while back where
extra file information was stored.

Ah, found it.
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/11/03/inside-alternative-data-streams.aspx
And commented on another article. <smile>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>
>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>> your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>
> I finally got around to looking at this. There are two types of
> pinning allowed. The app, ie msaccess.exe, and the actual file, ie
> test.mdb. You can see the msaccess.exe (actually MS Office xxxx) in
> the above mentioned folder.

How do you pin a data file to the taskbar? They seem to be pinned to
the jumplist of an application. Is that what you mean?

I guess I didn't realize what you had wasn't an executable, but rather
an associated data file. Hmmmmm...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>>
>>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>>
>>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at your
>>> launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>>
>> I finally got around to looking at this. There are two types of
>> pinning allowed. The app, ie msaccess.exe, and the actual file, ie
>> test.mdb. You can see the msaccess.exe (actually MS Office xxxx) in
>> the above mentioned folder.
>
> How do you pin a data file to the taskbar? They seem to be pinned to the
> jumplist of an application. Is that what you mean?
>
> I guess I didn't realize what you had wasn't an executable, but rather an
> associated data file. Hmmmmm...

You might be fighting a losing battle. The pinned datafiles are all
referenced here:

%appdata%\microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations\

But those files are unreadable. You can figure out which relates to
what you're looking for by scanning through them all for strings. For
example,

C:\>find /c "Tony's File"
%appdata%\microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations\*

Deleting the file(s) that contains the sought reference, will remove
*all* the Pins and other files on that application's jumplist.
Probably not where you want to go. :-(

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org