From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

>>> Whoa on a sec here. I haven't checked those URLs yet but <plaintive,
>>> whining voice> don't forget about my problem. Hehehe
>>
>> Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
>>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>
>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>> your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>>
>> So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
>> huh?
>
> Holy cr*p.

Hey, it's MSFT we're talking about. <bg>

> No, the user or my app won't have admin privileges but still might not
> be too hard to work around.

Y'know, I don't think you'll need admin privs. Looks like the logged
in user has full access to that folder. As they should. You just go
in there and modify the shortcut target to point at your launcher
utility, and you'll be all set. :-)

It does seem to work. I just tested modifying a WinZip pinning to
Notepad, and didn't have any problems at all.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Mayayana wrote:

> -- |
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>

> That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
> shortcuts weren't working in Win7,

They work. They're just somewhat hidden.

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
Launch

I created my own QuickLaunch toolbar, and use it with much more
enjoyment than before, because I'm the only guy putting stuff there!
<g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Mayayana on
| > -- |
| >> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| >> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
| >>

| > That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
| > shortcuts weren't working in Win7,
|
| They work. They're just somewhat hidden.
|
| C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| Launch

You mean that it will show up if I programmatically
create that folder and drop an LNK into it, and skip the
User Pinned\TaskBar part?
I had tried it with User Pinned\TaskBar (your first path above),
both per-user and for all users, but it didn't work. The Shell
method seems to work fine, which I can use in an installer,
but it doesn't provide a method for all users.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Mayayana wrote:
>>> -- |
>>>>

>>> That's interesting. I'd noticed that Quick Launch
>>> shortcuts weren't working in Win7,
>>
>> They work. They're just somewhat hidden.
>>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch
>>
> You mean that it will show up if I programmatically
> create that folder and drop an LNK into it, and skip the
> User Pinned\TaskBar part?

I don't think it's that easy to create.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Mayayana on

| >> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
| >> Launch
| >>
| > You mean that it will show up if I programmatically
| > create that folder and drop an LNK into it, and skip the
| > User Pinned\TaskBar part?
|
| I don't think it's that easy to create.
|
| http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

I see. It's amazing how a little work can make
Windows almost as good as it used to be.

That doesn't help much for programmatic
links, though. It's just a custom toolbar for one's
own use. It seems that the Shell method of "pinning"
that I posted is the new equivalent of programmatically
putting a link in Quick Launch. (I'm interested in
this to fix the broken option in my installer that
allows people to add a Desktop and/or QL shortcut.)