From: Mayayana on

I would have looked into it deeper, but I no longer have a working copy of
Win7.

Are you sure? I haven't booted mine lately, but
the RC is supposed to work until sometime in
June. From March to June it boots with a black
Desktop. (You can put a picture there but you
have to redo it at every boot.) It then shuts down
after 2 hours. I just need to occasionally test
software, so 2 hours is plenty of time.

Maybe if I have a chance I'll test this out. I
agree about the problem of QuickLaunch misuse.
Even Firefox does that, adding icons everywhere,
regardless of what options one selects in setup.
But most people won't know how to add a program
to QuickLaunch any more than they did in Win9x
and XP. What they now call "pinning" has always
been possible, but most people just don't know
those things.

From: Mayayana on
I just tested this. It doesn't work to put a link
into the folder, but the following works. I tested
the script version in Win7. The only drawback is
that it's only for the current user:

This sample has hardcoded paths, but the basic
idea is to create a LNK file somewhere...anywhere
..... and then pin it programmatically. Set a reference
to the Shell object, then use this code:

Dim SH As Shell
Dim oFol As Folder
Dim FolItem As FolderItem
Dim oVerbs As FolderItemVerbs, oVerb As FolderItemVerb

Set SH = New Shell
Set oFol = SH.NameSpace("C:\Program Files\Some Program")
Set FolItem = oFol.ParseName("someprog.lnk")
For Each oVerb In FolItem.Verbs
If Replace(oVerb.Name, "&", "") = "Pin to Taskbar" Then
oVerb.DoIt
Exit For
End If
Next

Set FolItem = Nothing
Set oFol = Nothing
Set SH = Nothing

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

>Based on everything I've read regarding this issue, merely dropping a file, lnk or otherwise in that folder will not accomplish the desired result. Apparently, it's only one piece part of a much larger puzzle. Chen posted at some point the exact same thing. There are APIs that deal with the whole "pinning" feature that are under lock and key, specifically for the reason MSFT doesn't want abuse of the feature, like quicklaunch.

Yeah, but all I really care about is seeing if the shortcut belongs to
a specific named Access file. if it does then all I want to do is
delete the shortcut and inform the user they're not allowed to pin the
Access file.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)usinternet.com> wrote:

>> Hmmmm, and if it's a user created MDB file my VB6 exe could just turn
>> around and start up Access agonist the MDB.
>>
>> Interesting idea.
>
>What about the taskbar info? eg, tasks, jumplist, et al. If your one
>program is associated with many documents, won't they all show the
>same MRU as opposed to the different apps that were being pinned....

But really when I think about it there is no way I want to hijack a
shortcut like that. While it might work reasonably well it would
cause great confusion to any IT person who would be looking at things
later.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Okay, let's toss the man a fish... <g>
>>
>> C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
>> Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
>>
>> Looks like you might be able to twiddle those LNK files to point at
>> your launcher, assuming you had admin privs.
>>
>> So much for the "wisdom" of Microsoft putting those settings offlimits,
>> huh?
>
> Based on everything I've read regarding this issue, merely dropping a file,
> lnk or otherwise in that folder will not accomplish the desired result.
> Apparently, it's only one piece part of a much larger puzzle. Chen posted at
> some point the exact same thing. There are APIs that deal with the whole
> "pinning" feature that are under lock and key, specifically for the reason
> MSFT doesn't want abuse of the feature, like quicklaunch.

Looks like they left a backdoor. <eg> I just pinned WinZip to the
taskbar, navigated to that folder, right-click editted the Properties
for the LNK, and changed the target to "notepad.exe" - works great.
Still shows the original icon on the taskbar, too. Press it, and
Notepad pops up. I think this would work for Tony's situation.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org