From: M on
undisclosed wrote:
> Hmm...I have done a lot of things to my desktop, taskbar, quick launch
> bar, start bar, IME...Will these things remain changed after a repair?
>
> More than one different types of anti virus software tell me that I am
> malware free.

Malware are not just viruses. I would back up my data and reinstall, not
repair, if I were you.

From: undisclosed on

I am not sure what you mean.

If there any recognisably "mal" or bad, nasty software wise then I
guess that the various virus detection programs that I am using would
find it.

However, I have thought of the "root kit" possibility. If someone had
installed a root kit, created a user, (and possibly deleted the root kit
afterwards) and then is simply logging into my computer, using only
standard software, then perhaps the usage of that rouge user might cause
the symptoms that I am experiencing, but a virus program would simply
see the system as being one used by various users. Is that he sort of
thing?

How might I tell? Er, I guess I should install Zone Alarm and see if
anyone is trying to get in from outside.

But anyway, for the time being, I am able to use my computer and I do
not have the time to reinstall. If you mean reinstall from scratch then
that would take me ages, with all the software, software keys, internet
settings on top of the OS configuration. I might not be able to
reinstall some of my software, if I can't find the password.

I am aware that reinstallation is a possible solution. But if I were to
go along that road I would not be posting here.

I think that the create new users idea was a good one and it might have
worked.

I am hoping that this thread will be searchable, others will have the
same problem and that someone will suggest something that works. If not
then when I am less busy I will reinstall and spend a couple of days
reconfiguring.

Tim

--
timtak
From: undisclosed on

It turned out to be my keyboard. New keyboard, problem fixed.

Got new wireless mouse and memory too:smile:.

--
timtak
From: Kelly on
Thanks, Paul. :o)