From: species8350 on
Looking at the 'Site Summary'

What does the 'Phys' information mean. For example, G

I have noticed that most people seem to use channel 1 or 11. What is
the significance of these channels?

Under 'WPS' there is a Pin code. It can also be renewed. What is this
used for?

In 'configuration' mode. What does Enrole mean?

Other.

Obviously the greater the signal received the better. But in % terms,
what constitutes a good signal?

For an antenna with a cable. Does the cable form part of the antenna.
In other words is the anrtenna the actaul antenna + the cable?

Thanks
From: Tony Hwang on
species8350 wrote:
> Looking at the 'Site Summary'
>
> What does the 'Phys' information mean. For example, G
>
> I have noticed that most people seem to use channel 1 or 11. What is
> the significance of these channels?
>
> Under 'WPS' there is a Pin code. It can also be renewed. What is this
> used for?
>
> In 'configuration' mode. What does Enrole mean?
>
> Other.
>
> Obviously the greater the signal received the better. But in % terms,
> what constitutes a good signal?
>
> For an antenna with a cable. Does the cable form part of the antenna.
> In other words is the anrtenna the actaul antenna + the cable?
>
> Thanks
Hmmm,
Google is your friend. You are asking all this very basic stuffs!
From: species8350 on
On Jan 9, 5:12 pm, Tony Hwang <drago...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> species8350 wrote:
> > Looking at the 'Site Summary'
>
> > What does the 'Phys' information mean. For example, G
>
> > I have noticed that most people seem to use channel 1 or 11. What is
> > the significance of these channels?
>
> > Under 'WPS' there is a Pin code. It can also be renewed. What is this
> > used for?
>
> > In 'configuration' mode. What does Enrole mean?
>
> > Other.
>
> > Obviously the greater the signal received the better. But in % terms,
> > what constitutes a good signal?
>
> > For an antenna with a cable. Does the cable form part of the antenna.
> > In other words is the anrtenna the actaul antenna + the cable?
>
> > Thanks
>
> Hmmm,
> Google is your friend. You are asking all this very basic stuffs!- Hide quoted text -

Try this one

Some one said that if I detect other networks that broadcast on
certain channels, then I should use a different channel that differs
by 5. Evidently this is due to sharing. I dont quite understand this
if people use diffeent ISP's.

If it is advisable, then I may need to change the channel both on the
client and therefore on the router. I assume that I will be able to
change both on the client. This procedure may need to be conducted
quite often depending on which networks are connecting.

Any idea what difference it might make if people are using the same
channel, for example, two networks.

Note my router has not yet arrived, hence all my questions may see
very basic. But I will learn in time and with experience.

Thanks
From: species8350 on
On Jan 10, 1:19 pm, species8350 <not_here.5.species8...(a)xoxy.net>
wrote:
> On Jan 9, 5:12 pm, Tony Hwang <drago...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>

> > species8350 wrote:
> > > Looking at the 'Site Summary'
>
> > > What does the 'Phys' information mean. For example, G
>
> > > I have noticed that most people seem to use channel 1 or 11. What is
> > > the significance of these channels?
>
> > > Under 'WPS' there is a Pin code. It can also be renewed. What is this
> > > used for?
>
> > > In 'configuration' mode. What does Enrole mean?
>
> > > Other.
>
> > > Obviously the greater the signal received the better. But in % terms,
> > > what constitutes a good signal?
>
> > > For an antenna with a cable. Does the cable form part of the antenna.
> > > In other words is the anrtenna the actaul antenna + the cable?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > Hmmm,
> > Google is your friend. You are asking all this very basic stuffs!- Hide quoted text -

> Try this one
>
> Some one said that if I detect other networks that broadcast on
> certain channels, then I should use a different channel that differs
> by 5. Evidently this is due to sharing. I dont quite understand this
> if people use diffeent ISP's.
>
> If it is advisable, then I may need to change the channel both on the
> client and therefore on the router. I assume that I will be able to
> change both on the client. This procedure may need to be conducted
> quite often depending on which networks are connecting.
>
> Any idea what difference it might make if people are using the same
> channel, for example, two networks.
>
> Note my router has not yet arrived, hence all my questions may see
> very basic. But I will learn in time and with experience.
>
> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to mention, in case it matters. Based in the UK
From: Bob on
On 10/01/2010 13:19, species8350 wrote:

> Note my router has not yet arrived, hence all my questions may see
> very basic. But I will learn in time and with experience.
>
> Thanks

The router seems to be taking an awfully long time to arrive. You had a
thread going in Aug 2009 about a router and wireless card.
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware/browse_thread/thread/d888ebff2e889357/e909ad59d877b7a0?q=#e909ad59d877b7a0>