From: Rod Speed on
Mike Rofone wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> If the other networks don't have the same name then network connectivity is limited.

>> That is just plain wrong.

> No, it's not.

Yes it is.

> If your computer isn't on the same workgroup as others
> then you cannot see them to access shared resources.

Wrong. I do it all the time with systems I put on my lan when working on them.

From: terryc on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:15:51 +1000, Mike Rofone wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote...
>
>> > If the other networks don't have the same name then network
>> > connectivity is limited.
>>
>> That is just plain wrong.
>
> No, it's not. If your computer isn't on the same workgroup as others
> then you cannot see them to access shared resources.

Isn't there a sharing setting to share stuff/item to all?
Caverat, never set this, but as *nix can do it, old bill would have
followed.

From: terryc on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:16:37 +1000, Mike Rofone wrote:

> terryc wrote...
>
>> > Is there a simple or easy way to change workgroup names to that of
>> > the visiting networks?
>>
>> Profiles?
>
> I tried that. Changing the Workgroup name under "My Computer" appears to
> be a system-wide thing.

This is an absolutely atrocious website (poster child for why white space
is important)

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/2298.aspx

but it seems to have something on the way I think you can do it*

I jst found this from websearch(ixquick.com) setting windows workgroup
from boot up profile

*I definitely was doing it under Win3.11 when I could only have a
workable machine by booting into any two of *nix/win/OS2/novell
networking groups.

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Mike Rofone wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> That is just plain wrong.

>> No, it's not. If your computer isn't on the same workgroup as
>> others then you cannot see them to access shared resources.

> Isn't there a sharing setting to share stuff/item to all?

Its much more complicated than that.

> Caverat, never set this, but as *nix can do it, old bill would have followed.

Its nothing like what happens with that.

From: terryc on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:24:06 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

> terryc wrote
>> Mike Rofone wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> No, it's not. If your computer isn't on the same workgroup as others
>>> then you cannot see them to access shared resources.
>
>> Isn't there a sharing setting to share stuff/item to all?
>
> Its much more complicated than that.
So you never say.

>> Caverat, never set this, but as *nix can do it, old bill would have
>> followed.
>
> Its nothing like what happens with that.

Naah, you're right. Unix had it, IBm copied it for OS/2, then Novell got
it, then old Bill almost two decades later decided he had better catch up
on it or loose more big end business.