From: Mike Rofone on
Our home network has the name "WORKGROUP". However, we have the laptops which
may be used elsewhere.

If the other networks don't have the same name then network connectivity is
limited.

At our place all wireless devices connect via dynamic addresses with a Netgear
wireless router functioning as a DHCP server.

(hard wired devices have fixed IP addresses.)

Is there a simple or easy way to change workgroup names to that of the visiting
networks?

From: Rod Speed on
Mike Rofone wrote:

> Our home network has the name "WORKGROUP".
> However, we have the laptops which may be used elsewhere.

> If the other networks don't have the same name then network connectivity is limited.

That is just plain wrong.

> At our place all wireless devices connect via dynamic addresses
> with a Netgear wireless router functioning as a DHCP server.

> (hard wired devices have fixed IP addresses.)

> Is there a simple or easy way to change workgroup names to that of the visiting networks?

There is no need to do that. They dont all have to have the same
workgroup name and havent needed to do that since before Win XP.

From: terryc on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:26:09 +1000, Mike Rofone wrote:

> Is there a simple or easy way to change workgroup names to that of the
> visiting networks?

Profiles?

From: Mike Rofone on
Rod Speed wrote...

> > If the other networks don't have the same name then network connectivity is limited.
>
> That is just plain wrong.

No, it's not. If your computer isn't on the same workgroup as others then you
cannot see them to access shared resources.
From: Mike Rofone on
terryc wrote...

> > Is there a simple or easy way to change workgroup names to that of the
> > visiting networks?
>
> Profiles?

I tried that. Changing the Workgroup name under "My Computer" appears to be a
system-wide thing.