From: PieBald on
Does XP OEM Home Edition support VPN server.

I have two system both fail to enable VPN server at the same point with the
same error. When setting allow incoming calls they with : - Rounting and
Remote Access service was unable to start refer to event viewer. This reports
error 340(0x154).
As suggested by numerous forums I have started services, enable NETBIOS, and
even checked INETSRV folder for files, mine is empty.

Does this version of XP support VPN server or not, if not can I get the
files to enable it or am I going to have to use a 3rd party option

All help appreciated.
From: LD55ZRA on
It doesn't matter whether your version is OEM or not because XP Home edition
does support VPN. I suggest this article and follow step by step
instructions to see if you can make it work:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314076

hth

From: PieBald on
LD55ZRA, please excuse my fumblings, but, that KB article relates to then
setting up the client side of VPN on a system. As pointed out in my original
scope I wish to set one of my PC's up as a VPN SERVER and hence this is the
problem I am encountering. Thank very much for the update. I you require any
further information please don't hessitate to ask.

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 24, 10:08 am, PieBald <PieB...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> LD55ZRA, please excuse my fumblings, but, that KB article relates to then
> setting up the client side of VPN on a system. As pointed out in my original
> scope I wish to set one of my PC's up as a VPN SERVER and hence this is the
> problem I am encountering. Thank very much for the update. I you require any
> further information please don't hessitate to ask.
>
> "LD55ZRA" wrote:
> > It doesn't matter whether your version is OEM or not because XP Home edition
> > does support VPN.  I suggest this article and follow step by step
> > instructions to see if you can make it work:
>
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314076
>
> > hth
>
> > "PieBald" <PieB...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Does XP OEM Home Edition support VPN server.
>
> > > I have two system both fail to enable VPN server at the same point with
> > > the
> > > same error. When setting allow incoming calls they with : - Rounting and
> > > Remote Access service was unable to start refer to event viewer. This
> > > reports
> > > error 340(0x154).
> > > As suggested by numerous forums I have started services, enable NETBIOS,
> > > and
> > > even checked INETSRV folder for files, mine is empty.
>
> > > Does this version of XP support VPN server or not, if not can I get the
> > > files to enable it or am I going to have to use a 3rd party option
>
> > > All help appreciated.
>
> > .

XP Home. regardless Retail or OEM versions, have not been designed to
be a "end-point" for VPN or Remote Desktop Protocol.
From: PieBald on
smlunatick

Thanks for the prompt reply, it's appreciated. It does seem that others
including MVP's etc seem to think that OEM Home edition had this capability,
and more confusingly, that they had actually set it up on these systems.
Strange

But once again that for straightening that out I can now continue to look at
other options, if you have any idea please point me in the right direction.

"smlunatick" wrote:

> On Mar 24, 10:08 am, PieBald <PieB...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > LD55ZRA, please excuse my fumblings, but, that KB article relates to then
> > setting up the client side of VPN on a system. As pointed out in my original
> > scope I wish to set one of my PC's up as a VPN SERVER and hence this is the
> > problem I am encountering. Thank very much for the update. I you require any
> > further information please don't hessitate to ask.
> >
> > "LD55ZRA" wrote:
> > > It doesn't matter whether your version is OEM or not because XP Home edition
> > > does support VPN. I suggest this article and follow step by step
> > > instructions to see if you can make it work:
> >
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314076
> >
> > > hth
> >
> > > "PieBald" <PieB...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > .
>
> XP Home. regardless Retail or OEM versions, have not been designed to
> be a "end-point" for VPN or Remote Desktop Protocol.
> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Fresh XP Install Internet Problems
Next: Remote Desktop