From: buddyorliz on
When I click on import video it goes to my video's for a second then shuts
down.
(Pictures work just not video's)

What I have been doing for the past year or so - (Don't ask why so much work
arounds - it worked for me until now)

I bought Nero so I could burn DVD's.
I make my movie in Movie Maker - edit the project -when done- save it as a
movie.
Then open it in Nero Vision - tinker a bit with it - Then burn it on DVD,
Been working great after I figured out a couple workarounds. I knew how to
use WMM a little and nothing about Nero so between the two I could do what I
wanted.

I started having some issues with Nero a couple months ago.
I did some internet searching and wound up downloading some codec.
No telling what else I did trying to fix it---

I have just read some of Papa Johns info - looked at the .ax files, I have
18 of them on my computer that are possible issue cause'ers.

Knowing the little I really do about this kind of stuff decided I better
stop right here and see if I can get better help instead of just re-naming
all of them and then trying to use a different program or software and it not
working right because of the re-naming---?? Just don't know how this stuff
works, how it all interchanges or not with each other.

Ok, so the bottom line question is-
What is causing movie maker to just shut down with out warning when I
click on inport video files?

(I have XP
version 5.1...servicepac3 ...Windows movie maker version 2.1.4026.0)

From: PapaJohn on
your version 2.1 of Movie Maker is the latest one, and it has the
compatibility list (Tools > Options).... uncheck the line items in the list
instead of finding and renaming .ax files.

I routinely work with over 50 line items in the list, with them all
unchecked.

PapaJohn (MVP)

From: buddyorliz on
Sorry, I sould have mentioned I did that.
I have 18 listed and I even tried unchecking all of them and still....
closes when I click inport video.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Liz

From: PapaJohn on
that usually means you have to do file conversions before importing...

From: buddyorliz on
Now you totally lost me.
File conversions?
For one thing it doesn't seam that it would matter what 'version' they were
as moviemaker closes before I can click on anything.

In the past I have had to mess with come kind of converting, but that has
not been an issue in awhile.

I do have a few issues with thumb files that come with my video clips from
my newest canon camera. Usually just deleting them right away has stopped
any of those issues. I only mention that incase that jogs something in your
memory.

If You are confident about the file conversion being the issue I will spend
the time to do what I need to, but would you Please give me step by step
help. I don't even know how to get started.

Thanks,
Liz

Ps. I read articles on the papajohn page all the time. Some have been very
helpful, some I just get lost.