From: Rod Speed on
Osama wrote

> Thanks Rod

> separate partition on the current drive is fine too.

> Don't think my knowledge is up to this.

Its not that hard if you get True Image.

> May have to go with separate drive.

> So just for me

> 1 - I remove all files and format the 20G drive

You dont have to do that, you can get the XP install for format that drive.

> 2 I boot the XP distribution CD, install XP on that drive
> Does it ask what drive to install on?

Yes.

> 3 manually edit the boot.ini that XP installs to allow you to select which OS you want to boot at boot time.

> When I restart computer, I go F8 or Delete (can't remember which but don't want to restart computer to check now)
> Select 20G drive to start on with XP installed.

You dont need to do that if you do 3 properly,
you will get a choice of which OS you want to boot.

> Am I close?

Pretty close.

From: Rod Speed on
Rod Speed wrote:
> Osama wrote
>
>> Thanks Rod
>
>> separate partition on the current drive is fine too.
>
>> Don't think my knowledge is up to this.
>
> Its not that hard if you get True Image.
>
>> May have to go with separate drive.
>
>> So just for me
>
>> 1 - I remove all files and format the 20G drive
>
> You dont have to do that, you can get the XP install for format that
> drive.
>> 2 I boot the XP distribution CD, install XP on that drive
>> Does it ask what drive to install on?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 3 manually edit the boot.ini that XP installs to allow you to select
>> which OS you want to boot at boot time.
>
>> When I restart computer, I go F8 or Delete (can't remember which but
>> don't want to restart computer to check now) Select 20G drive to
>> start on with XP installed.
>
> You dont need to do that if you do 3 properly,
> you will get a choice of which OS you want to boot.
>
>> Am I close?
>
> Pretty close.

If you are going to stick with a separate drive for XP, makes
sense to physically disconnect the current drive before installing
XP to minimise the risk of formatting the wrong drive etc.

From: Sekula on

"Osama" <Osama(a)obama> wrote in message
>I have couple of programs (Ulead Videostudio SE DVD, Nero Suite 6)that
>worked fine on XP but don't have all their features working on Win7 even
>when I use the "Run programs made for previous versions of windows.

Typical MS BS..no wonder XP users dont want to rush into buying Win7...they
cant even make 7 compatible with Xp programs..tossers!!

From: annily on
Sekula wrote:
> "Osama" <Osama(a)obama> wrote in message
>> I have couple of programs (Ulead Videostudio SE DVD, Nero Suite 6)that
>> worked fine on XP but don't have all their features working on Win7 even
>> when I use the "Run programs made for previous versions of windows.
>
> Typical MS BS..no wonder XP users dont want to rush into buying Win7...they
> cant even make 7 compatible with Xp programs..tossers!!

Most programs that run in XP will run fine in Win 7. It's those that do
"tricky" things that won't. For those, you should be able to get
suitable replacements.

If you're updating to a new OS, what's wrong with updating a few old
apps as well?

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: Osama on

> Have a look at VirtualBox - you run XP within Windows7
> http://www.virtualbox.org/

Sound like the best idea to me.
I have downloaded.
Guide is 297 pages!!!
Can I ask for a quik rundown how to get Xp in window?
Be much appreciated.
Cheers,