From: Osama on
I have couple of programs (Ulead Videostudio SE DVD, Nero Suite 6)that
worked fine on XP but don't have all their features working on Win7 even
when I use the "Run programs made for previous versions of windows.

Is it possible to install XP on either a spare 5G or a 20G drive and
then install the programs on it. Then if I can load this drive first
when I want to run those programs.

If it is, how do I go about doing it.

Thanks,
From: Rod Speed on
Osama wrote:

> I have couple of programs (Ulead Videostudio SE DVD, Nero Suite 6)that
> worked fine on XP but don't have all their features working on Win7 even when I use the "Run programs made for
> previous versions of windows.

> Is it possible to install XP on either a spare 5G or a 20G drive and then install the programs on it.

Yes, and it doesnt even need to be a separate physical drive
either, a separate partition on the current drive is fine too.

> Then if I can load this drive first when I want to run those programs.

> If it is, how do I go about doing it.

Just add the drive, or make the new partition on the
existing drive with something like Acronis True Image,
boot the XP distribution CD, install XP on that drive or
partition and install the software you want to use on it.

Then add a decent boot manager or manually edit
the boot.ini that XP installs to allow you to select
which OS you want to boot at boot time.

From: Osama on
Thanks Rod

separate partition on the current drive is fine too.

Don't think my knowledge is up to this. May have to go with separate drive.

So just for me

1 - I remove all files and format the 20G drive

2 I boot the XP distribution CD, install XP on that drive
Does it ask what drive to install on?

3 manually edit the boot.ini that XP installs to allow you to select
which OS you want to boot at boot time.

When I restart computer, I go F8 or Delete (can't remember which but
don't want to restart computer to check now) Select 20G drive to start
on with XP installed.

Am I close?
Cheers,

From: Fred on
Osama wrote:
> Thanks Rod
>
> separate partition on the current drive is fine too.
>
> Don't think my knowledge is up to this. May have to go with separate
> drive.
> So just for me
>
> 1 - I remove all files and format the 20G drive
>

> 2 I boot the XP distribution CD, install XP on that drive
> Does it ask what drive to install on?
>

> 3 manually edit the boot.ini that XP installs to allow you to select
> which OS you want to boot at boot time.
>
> When I restart computer, I go F8 or Delete (can't remember which but
> don't want to restart computer to check now) Select 20G drive to start
> on with XP installed.

I suggest following a guide like this one with tips on how to stop XP
deleting your Seven restore files and repairing the Seven boot file that
installing XP second will muck up.
Method two for you
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

From: idgat on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:36:57 +1100, Osama <Osama(a)obama> wrote:

>I have couple of programs (Ulead Videostudio SE DVD, Nero Suite 6)that
>worked fine on XP but don't have all their features working on Win7 even
>when I use the "Run programs made for previous versions of windows.
>
>Is it possible to install XP on either a spare 5G or a 20G drive and
>then install the programs on it. Then if I can load this drive first
>when I want to run those programs.
>
>If it is, how do I go about doing it.
>
>Thanks,

Dualboot (different OS's on different drives/partitions) is s-o--o-o-o
yesterday.

Have a look at VirtualBox - you run XP within Windows7
http://www.virtualbox.org/

No partitioning necessary, no tinkering with ini/boot files etc
required, no dual boot system necessary ..... just 2 Os's on the one
machine/HDD. WindowsXP runs in a window just like any other program,
and you install your un-Win7 "leftovers" in that XP window.

Purrs like a kitten, works a dream.
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.