From: RnR on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:52:34 -0400, "Ron" <Harvested(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>From the tech specs:
>
>XPS 8100:
>
>Expansion Slots
>PCI: 1 slot
>PCIe x1: 2 slots
>PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot
> Chassis and Case
>Dimensions & Weight
>Height: 16.1" (40.9 cm)
>Width: 7.3" (18.5 cm)
>Depth:17.9" (454.67mm)
>Weight: about 22.4 lbs (10.18 kg)
> Power
>Power: 350 Watts
> Security
>Cable lock chassis security slot
> Drive Bays
>Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
>Two 5.25" bays
>Memory DIMM slots: 4 available
>
>XPS: 9000:
>
> Expansion Slots
>PCI: 1 slot
>PCIe x1: 3 slots
>PCIe x8: 1 slot
>PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot
> Chassis and Case
>Dimensions & Weight
>Height: 19.4" (49.3 cm)
>Width: 7.8" (19.8 cm)
>Depth: 20.7" (52.8cm)
>Weight: about 40 lbs (20.01 kg)
> Power
>Power: 475 Watts
> Security
>Cable lock chassis security slot
> Drive Bays
>Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
>Two 5.25" bays
>Memory DIMM slots: 6 available
>
>And that's comparing neighboring systems of the same generation. (My old
>generation XPS 8250, is smaller yet than the 8100). Sure the larger PS and
>couple extra slots will bulk it up a bit, but 20 lbs worth? I guess it's
>what someone else said, the chassis itself is bulkier and maybe the mobo.
>Hope it's worth lugging that thing around and tucking it in.... -Ron

I really don't know but I can only assume the thickness of the chassis
is greater as well as the size to account for most of the 20lbs. I
would want to also look closely at the power supply specs too. And
maybe the plastic around the chassis is thicker too for better sound
proofing?? Whatever, I agree 20lbs does sound a bit much for the
difference. Bottom line is I can only guess till I read the specs
carefully and see some pics.
From: RnR on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:27:01 -0500, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:52:34 -0400, "Ron" <Harvested(a)comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>From the tech specs:
>>
>>XPS 8100:
>>
>>Expansion Slots
>>PCI: 1 slot
>>PCIe x1: 2 slots
>>PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot
>> Chassis and Case
>>Dimensions & Weight
>>Height: 16.1" (40.9 cm)
>>Width: 7.3" (18.5 cm)
>>Depth:17.9" (454.67mm)
>>Weight: about 22.4 lbs (10.18 kg)
>> Power
>>Power: 350 Watts
>> Security
>>Cable lock chassis security slot
>> Drive Bays
>>Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
>>Two 5.25" bays
>>Memory DIMM slots: 4 available
>>
>>XPS: 9000:
>>
>> Expansion Slots
>>PCI: 1 slot
>>PCIe x1: 3 slots
>>PCIe x8: 1 slot
>>PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot
>> Chassis and Case
>>Dimensions & Weight
>>Height: 19.4" (49.3 cm)
>>Width: 7.8" (19.8 cm)
>>Depth: 20.7" (52.8cm)
>>Weight: about 40 lbs (20.01 kg)
>> Power
>>Power: 475 Watts
>> Security
>>Cable lock chassis security slot
>> Drive Bays
>>Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
>>Two 5.25" bays
>>Memory DIMM slots: 6 available
>>
>>And that's comparing neighboring systems of the same generation. (My old
>>generation XPS 8250, is smaller yet than the 8100). Sure the larger PS and
>>couple extra slots will bulk it up a bit, but 20 lbs worth? I guess it's
>>what someone else said, the chassis itself is bulkier and maybe the mobo.
>>Hope it's worth lugging that thing around and tucking it in.... -Ron
>>

>I really don't know but I can only assume the thickness of the chassis
>is greater as well as the size to account for most of the 20lbs. I
>would want to also look closely at the power supply specs too. And
>maybe the plastic around the chassis is thicker too for better sound
>proofing?? Whatever, I agree 20lbs does sound a bit much for the
>difference. Bottom line is I can only guess till I read the specs
>carefully and see some pics.

Correction to my last sentence above, not "...read the specs..." but
" read the details that pertain to the specs ".
From: skeeter on

"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:52:34 -0400, "Ron" <Harvested(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> I really don't know but I can only assume the thickness of the chassis
> is greater as well as the size to account for most of the 20lbs. I
> would want to also look closely at the power supply specs too. And
> maybe the plastic around the chassis is thicker too for better sound
> proofing?? Whatever, I agree 20lbs does sound a bit much for the
> difference. Bottom line is I can only guess till I read the specs
> carefully and see some pics.

power supply?

From: Daddy on
skeeter wrote:

> "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:52:34 -0400, "Ron" <Harvested(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> I really don't know but I can only assume the thickness of the chassis
>> is greater as well as the size to account for most of the 20lbs. I
>> would want to also look closely at the power supply specs too. And
>> maybe the plastic around the chassis is thicker too for better sound
>> proofing?? Whatever, I agree 20lbs does sound a bit much for the
>> difference. Bottom line is I can only guess till I read the specs
>> carefully and see some pics.
>
> power supply?

Perhaps the extra weight comes from all the junk that Dell pre-loads on
the computer.

Daddy
From: RnR on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:13:04 -0400, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>skeeter wrote:
>>
>> "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:52:34 -0400, "Ron" <Harvested(a)comcast.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I really don't know but I can only assume the thickness of the chassis
>>> is greater as well as the size to account for most of the 20lbs. I
>>> would want to also look closely at the power supply specs too. And
>>> maybe the plastic around the chassis is thicker too for better sound
>>> proofing?? Whatever, I agree 20lbs does sound a bit much for the
>>> difference. Bottom line is I can only guess till I read the specs
>>> carefully and see some pics.
>>
>> power supply?
>
>Perhaps the extra weight comes from all the junk that Dell pre-loads on
>the computer.
>
>Daddy

I forgot about that. That's got to be it <grin> !!