From: Daddy on
RnR wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:34:30 -0400, Tony Harding
> <tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/17/10 10:52, Ron wrote:
>>> From the tech specs:
>>>
>>> XPS 8100:
>>>
>>> Expansion Slots
>>> PCI: 1 slot
>>> PCIe x1: 2 slots
>>> PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot
>>> Chassis and Case
>>> Dimensions & Weight
>>> Height: 16.1" (40.9 cm)
>>> Width: 7.3" (18.5 cm)
>>> Depth:17.9" (454.67mm)
>>> Weight: about 22.4 lbs (10.18 kg)
>>> Power
>>> Power: 350 Watts
>>> Security
>>> Cable lock chassis security slot
>>> Drive Bays
>>> Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
>>> Two 5.25" bays
>>> Memory DIMM slots: 4 available
>>>
>>> XPS: 9000:
>>>
>>> Expansion Slots
>>> PCI: 1 slot
>>> PCIe x1: 3 slots
>>> PCIe x8: 1 slot
>>> PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 slot
>>> Chassis and Case
>>> Dimensions & Weight
>>> Height: 19.4" (49.3 cm)
>>> Width: 7.8" (19.8 cm)
>>> Depth: 20.7" (52.8cm)
>>> Weight: about 40 lbs (20.01 kg)
>>> Power
>>> Power: 475 Watts
>>> Security
>>> Cable lock chassis security slot
>>> Drive Bays
>>> Three 3.5": (two internal, one external)
>>> Two 5.25" bays
>>> Memory DIMM slots: 6 available
>>>
>>> And that's comparing neighboring systems of the same generation. (My old
>>> generation XPS 8250, is smaller yet than the 8100). Sure the larger PS
>>> and couple extra slots will bulk it up a bit, but 20 lbs worth? I guess
>>> it's what someone else said, the chassis itself is bulkier and maybe the
>>> mobo. Hope it's worth lugging that thing around and tucking it in.... -Ron
>> Why are you lugging around a desktop?
>

> Makes me ask, is there such a thing as a " dolly " for a pc so one
> can just wheel it around? I never heard of one but nor did I ever
> look. Heck if I get too old someday (if death or taxes don't get me
> first), I might need one.

In my first job I used a Compaq 'portable' computer with a built-in
keyboard and 9-inch monochrome monitor. And it did require a dolly of
sorts; more like what we use today to wheel luggage around the airport.

Later we graduated to a Toshiba 'laptop' which we eventually had to
leave at the office, since it drew such a crowd everywhere we went that
it was hard to get work done.

Daddy
From: Larry Hermann on

Moot point. Much to my delight, my 9000 arrived with no crapware.

Larry

From: Tom Lake on

> Makes me ask, is there such a thing as a " dolly " for a pc so one
> can just wheel it around? I never heard of one but nor did I ever
> look. Heck if I get too old someday (if death or taxes don't get me
> first), I might need one.

AAMOF, there are such things.

http://www.raisenroll.com/

Tom Lake