From: Metspitzer on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:26:52 +0000 (UTC), david <none(a)nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:51:18 +0000, GMAN rearranged some electrons to say:
>
>> In article <i3t0t8$snd$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, david
>> <none(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>>>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:03:29 -0400, Metspitzer rearranged some electrons
>>>to say:

>>>I'm wondering how you think you're going to receive any TV signals
>>>without a connection to a signal source (whether it's an antenna, or
>>>cable).
>>
>> It comes with an antenna.
>
>I saw that, but I'm not sure what the OP was thinking when he said that
>an antenna was useless for "on the go". Perhaps he doesn't know that the
>frequencies of TV stations are low enough that a built-in antenna
>wouldn't be very practical (the device would have to be very large). Or
>that the market for such a device would be small especially if someone
>*wanted* to connect their cable service to it, and couldn't.

My question was prompted from a friend who has just finished
semi-truck training and is now driving a semi. That is what I meant
by "on the go" I should have made that more clear from the start.

If I were on the road, I would want a laptop and be able to tune in to
local stations or just thinking out loud what the best way to get "on
the go" entertainment.

I have never looked into those USB port Internet options, but was just
thinking out loud how to get the most mileage from them.

I have found out since I asked this question that those USB Internet
services are not unlimited access. It would suck to have to pay by
the byte for Internet I would guess. Local TV would not be worth it
if it was pay as you go.

From: Wes Newell on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:04:03 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

> My question was prompted from a friend who has just finished semi-truck
> training and is now driving a semi. That is what I meant by "on the go"
> I should have made that more clear from the start.

His best bet is probably going to be a dvd player. As for content, he can
buy it, or record it at home and burn to dvd before leaving out on his
trips.

From: Metspitzer on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:53:23 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell
<w.newell(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:04:03 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:
>
>> My question was prompted from a friend who has just finished semi-truck
>> training and is now driving a semi. That is what I meant by "on the go"
>> I should have made that more clear from the start.
>
>His best bet is probably going to be a dvd player. As for content, he can
>buy it, or record it at home and burn to dvd before leaving out on his
>trips.

His best bet is going to be a laptop as it doubles as a DVD player,
but DVDs will be a cheap solution. He said at first that wifi was
included at truck stops if you buy gas, but he has found out that it
is 5$ a day to get Internet at a truck stop.

From: david on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:04:03 -0400, Metspitzer rearranged some electrons
to say:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:26:52 +0000 (UTC), david <none(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:51:18 +0000, GMAN rearranged some electrons to
>>say:

>>> It comes with an antenna.
>>
>>I saw that, but I'm not sure what the OP was thinking when he said that
>>an antenna was useless for "on the go". Perhaps he doesn't know that
>>the frequencies of TV stations are low enough that a built-in antenna
>>wouldn't be very practical (the device would have to be very large). Or
>>that the market for such a device would be small especially if someone
>>*wanted* to connect their cable service to it, and couldn't.
>
> My question was prompted from a friend who has just finished semi-truck
> training and is now driving a semi. That is what I meant by "on the go"
> I should have made that more clear from the start.
>
> If I were on the road, I would want a laptop and be able to tune in to
> local stations or just thinking out loud what the best way to get "on
> the go" entertainment.
>
> I have never looked into those USB port Internet options, but was just
> thinking out loud how to get the most mileage from them.
>
> I have found out since I asked this question that those USB Internet
> services are not unlimited access. It would suck to have to pay by the
> byte for Internet I would guess. Local TV would not be worth it if it
> was pay as you go.

What are you talking about? Why would you have to pay for local TV that
comes over the air free? I think you're confusing a TV receiver with a
WiFi adapter. They aren't the same.
From: Rick on
Metspitzer wrote:
> I would think if someone was on the road all the time a USB type
> Internet would be cool. It may even be enough entertainment.
>
> It would be nice if local TV stations would offer their stations to
> the Internet so someone on the road could get local news and shows
> straight from the laptop.

Why bother? U use SlingBox to put your tv receiver on the internet.
If you're on the road, use WIFI to pick up the internet...

> Local TV stations broadcast over the air for free, I wonder what extra
> costs would be involved in broadcasting over the Internet. After all,
> the goal is to reach as many people as you can to try to sell them as
> much useless junk as you can.

Lack of feedback (data) on viewership makes it hard for the stations to
sell to the advertizers.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Connecting SATA HDDs and DVD Drives
Next: GA-790XTA-UD4 Fun