From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jeff Johnson used his keyboard to write :
> "kpg" <no(a)spam.com> wrote...
>
> Just a gut feeling here, but it seems to me kpg simply failed to do this:
>
> <Sarcasm>
>
>> I feel a nagging urgency to get an asp.net version of our product out there
>> pronto.
>
> </Sarcasm>
>
> I didn't see it as a troll at all.

That's sorta how it read to me, too.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-02-02, Karl E Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
> Jeff Johnson used his keyboard to write :
>> "kpg" <no(a)spam.com> wrote...
>>
>> Just a gut feeling here, but it seems to me kpg simply failed to do this:
>>
>> <Sarcasm>
>>
>>> I feel a nagging urgency to get an asp.net version of our product out there
>>> pronto.
>>
>> </Sarcasm>
>>
>> I didn't see it as a troll at all.
>
> That's sorta how it read to me, too.

Ah... I'm starting to see the pattern emerge... It's ok for vb.classic guys
to be off topic and start discussions about .net (as long as they are deriding
it) - but, heaven help any one who uses .net who brings it up....

--
Tom Shelton
From: Jeff Johnson on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message

>>> Just a gut feeling here, but it seems to me kpg simply failed to do
>>> this:
>>>
>>> <Sarcasm>

>>> </Sarcasm>
>>>
>>> I didn't see it as a troll at all.
>>
>> That's sorta how it read to me, too.
>>

> Ah... I'm starting to see the pattern emerge... It's ok for vb.classic
> guys
> to be off topic and start discussions about .net (as long as they are
> deriding
> it) - but, heaven help any one who uses .net who brings it up....

No, I don't think it's all right whatsoever. However, lots of folks
responded to kpg as if he were serious about porting to ASP.NET and I was
just pointing out that I didn't think he was.

From: David Kerber on
In article <eQcfrOCpKHA.3748(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net says...

> On 2010-02-02, David Kerber <ns_dkerber(a)ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote:
> > In article <OJ5#n#ApKHA.5328(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> > tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net says...

> >> 1) Since the OP specifically mentioned ASP.NET - that probably means they
> >> want to create a web version. I'm not exactly sure any of the options you
> >> gave are terribly suited to web programming. A more likely non-.net
> >> suggestion would be php, python, ruby, or java.
> >
> > Yeah, good point; I missed that on first reading.
> >

> >> 2) Having converted lots of VB6 code .NET - your assumption is wrong.
> >
> > Have you ever ported to any of the ones I mentioned so you have a
> > comparison?
>
> I've never seen you mention anything... So I can't comment.

I mentioned Delphi, FreeBasic and RealBasic. I've done ports (of small
apps, admittedly) from vb6 to Delphi, FreeBasic, and VB.net 2005.
Roughly equivalent effort required, IME.

From: Nobody on
> On 2010-02-02, David Kerber <ns_dkerber(a)ns_warrenrogersassociates.com>
> wrote:
>> In article <Xns9D12AA178A69Bipostthereforeiam(a)207.46.248.16>,
>> no(a)spam.com says...

>>> I feel a nagging urgency to get an asp.net version of our product out
>> there
>>> pronto.
>>
>> Why not Delphi, FreeBasic or RealBasic? The conversion effort will
>> probably be about the same...

> 1) Since the OP specifically mentioned ASP.NET - that probably means they
> want to create a web version. I'm not exactly sure any of the options you
> gave are terribly suited to web programming. A more likely non-.net
> suggestion would be php, python, ruby, or java.
>
> 2) Having converted lots of VB6 code .NET - your assumption is wrong.

There is a product called "Delphi for PHP" as I mentioned in my first reply
to this thread. It's separate from the regular Delphi product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi_for_PHP

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi-for-php