From: Robert Weiss on
>> > I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
>> > my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
>> > which could do both SSH and FTP ?
> I tried winscp before , not sure if that is the same scp you
> mentioned, it seems need to input userid and PW again.. I'm looking
> for some tools which just need login once and could do FTP and SSH
> without going through login process again...

use pagent for loading your ssh keys and write the public keys into the
authorized_keys file on the server
From: Mark D Powell on
On Aug 3, 9:41 am, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I still new in oracle world.
> I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
> oracle server to do their daily job.
>
> I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
> my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
> which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>
> I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
> from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
> corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
> begining..
>
> so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
> it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
> mean another login process..
>
> I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
> work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
> it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
> no command option .
>
> your suggestion is really appreciated.

"what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin work?"

I use sqlplus for most all my Daily Administration work. I use my own
scripts for querying and monitoring the database(s).

Oracle Enterprise Manager tool is OK if you buy the additional cost
Performance and Diagnostic Packs otherwise I feel you are better off
to stick to using sqlplus or maybe Oracle's free SQL Developer tool.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

From: Carlos on
On Aug 4, 2:32 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 9:41 am, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I still new in oracle world.
> > I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
> > oracle server to do their daily job.
>
> > I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
> > my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
> > which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>
> > I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
> > from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
> > corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
> > begining..
>
> > so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
> > it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
> > mean another login process..
>
> > I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
> > work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
> > it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
> > no command option .
>
> > your suggestion is really appreciated.
>
> "what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin work?"
>
> I use sqlplus for most all my Daily Administration work.  I use my own
> scripts for querying and monitoring the database(s).
>
> Oracle Enterprise Manager tool is OK if you buy the additional cost
> Performance and Diagnostic Packs otherwise I feel you are better off
> to stick to using sqlplus or maybe Oracle's free SQL Developer tool.
>
> IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

"I use sqlplus for most all my Daily Administration work. I use my
own scripts for querying and monitoring the database(s)."

"I feel you are better off to stick to using sqlplus"

+1

I'm definitely with Mark on this one.

Cheers.

Carlos.
From: gazzag on
On 4 Aug, 13:50, Carlos <miotromailcar...(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> +1
>
> I'm definitely with Mark on this one.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Carlos.

I agree. Also, SQL Developer is included as a replacement to the
Windows version of SQL*Plus with Oracle 11gR1 onwards.

-g
From: Tim X on
riverdance <esthershensh(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> On Aug 3, 11:33 am, Rob Burton <burton....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 3, 2:41 pm, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi,
>> > I still new in oracle world.
>> > I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
>> > oracle server to do their daily job.
>>
>> > I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
>> > my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
>> > which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>>
>> > I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
>> > from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
>> > corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
>> > begining..
>>
>> > so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
>> > it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
>> > mean another login process..
>>
>> > I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
>> > work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
>> > it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
>> > no command option .
>>
>> > your suggestion is really appreciated.
>>
>> scp can be used to transfer files, or pscp if you're using putty (a
>> separate download , which also has psftp which I'd guess would do ftp
>> too.)- Hide quoted text -

> Hi, Thanks.
>
> I tried winscp before , not sure if that is the same scp you
> mentioned, it seems need to input userid and PW again.. I'm looking
> for some tools which just need login once and could do FTP and SSH
> without going through login process again...
>
> I would try to find pscp /psftp to see if that works..

This is normally handled by an ssh-agent. Don't know what the state is
under windows, but under Linux and probably Mac, you simply start up an
ssh-agent as part of your session startup (the agent needs to run in the
parent process of processes you wish to use it from).

With the ssh-agent running, the first time you try to go to a remote
host, using either ssh or scp, you are asked for you passphrase via a
popup (or command line if not running under a GUI). From that point on,
the ssh-agent handles the passphrase for you - you will not be prompted
again for the passphrase when you next visit that host or use scp to
copy files to that host.

Other alternatives would be

* use emacs with its built-in 'tramp' mode. Allows you to edit remote
files and copy files from local to remote host and vice-versa. Steep
learning curve if your not familiar with it.

* Set up an NFS, SMB or similar share. If your on windows, setup samba
on your server

* Use something like dropbox

There are many other possible solutions. A lot depends on exactly what
you need to do and how often and what level of control/access you have
to the remote server. I personally rarely need to copy files to the
database. I run the Oracle instant client from my workstation and that
pretty much provides all I need 90% of the time. The only time I need to
copy files around is when I'm using external tables.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au