From: riverdance on
Hi,
I still new in oracle world.
I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
oracle server to do their daily job.

I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
which could do both SSH and FTP ?

I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
begining..

so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
mean another login process..

I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
work? if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
no command option .

your suggestion is really appreciated.

From: Rob Burton on
On Aug 3, 2:41 pm, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I still new in oracle world.
> I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
> oracle server to do their daily job.
>
> I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
> my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
> which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>
> I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
> from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
> corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
> begining..
>
> so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
> it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
> mean another login process..
>
> I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
> work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
> it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
> no command option .
>
> your suggestion is really appreciated.

scp can be used to transfer files, or pscp if you're using putty (a
separate download , which also has psftp which I'd guess would do ftp
too.)
From: riverdance on
On Aug 3, 11:33 am, Rob Burton <burton....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 2:41 pm, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I still new in oracle world.
> > I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
> > oracle server to do their daily job.
>
> > I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
> > my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
> > which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>
> > I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
> > from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
> > corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
> > begining..
>
> > so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
> > it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
> > mean another login process..
>
> > I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
> > work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
> > it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
> > no command option .
>
> > your suggestion is really appreciated.
>
> scp can be used to transfer files, or pscp if you're using putty (a
> separate download , which also has psftp which I'd guess would do ftp
> too.)- Hide quoted text -

Hi, Thanks.

I tried winscp before , not sure if that is the same scp you
mentioned, it seems need to input userid and PW again.. I'm looking
for some tools which just need login once and could do FTP and SSH
without going through login process again...

I would try to find pscp /psftp to see if that works..

Thanks a lot.
From: joel garry on
On Aug 3, 6:41 am, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I still new in oracle world.
> I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
> oracle server to do their daily job.
>
> I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
> my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
> which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>
> I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
> from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
> corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
> begining..
>
> so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
> it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
> mean another login process..
>
> I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
> work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
> it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
> no command option .
>
> your suggestion is really appreciated.

I use WRQ Reflection, but just because it happened to be available
when I started at the site. Sometimes I use dameware to get to some
servers. They both are useful when I work from home. I also use
various web things, including EM.

What exactly is your desktop? How far is it from the server? What
are the details of the server?

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/photos/galleries/2010/jul/24/cardiff-surfer-statue/12192/#photo
From: John Hurley on
Joel:

Question on FTP functionality for Oracle servers.

> I use WRQ Reflection, but just because it happened to be available
> when I started at the site.  Sometimes I use dameware to get to some
> servers.  They both are useful when I work from home.  I also use
> various web things, including EM.

WRQ no longer has Reflection ( was bought out ) but yeah that is one
of the tools here as well.

Toad also has a set of built in utilities for stuff like this ... a
lot of times I use a really old products WS_FTP ...

Back to the OP ... what specific products people use at different
sites ( unless there are specific rules already in place ) tends to be
all over the place.