From: Tim X on
Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2(a)hp.com> writes:

> On Aug 3, 9:41 am, riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I still new in oracle world.
>> I had a basic question..about what kind of tools DBA used to access
>> oracle server to do their daily job.
>>
>> I start doing some oracle admin work.. I also need ftp the files from
>> my desktop to Unix server from time to time.. is there any good tools
>> which could do both SSH and FTP ?
>>
>> I used to use secure SSH, but it seems not good in oracle. every time,
>> from oracle sqlplus session, if I mistype something, it cannot be
>> corrected by backspace, the only way is retype the whole command from
>> begining..
>>
>> so I had to switch to putty, since putty don't have this problem. but
>> it don't have FTP function, I had to use secure SSH to do the FTP , it
>> mean another login process..
>>
>> I don't know what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin
>> work?  if the tool had xwindows function, that would be great. since
>> it looks like some oracle software, must install under GUI , there is
>> no command option .
>>
>> your suggestion is really appreciated.
>
> "what kind of tools oracle DBA use to do their daily admin work?"
>
> I use sqlplus for most all my Daily Administration work. I use my own
> scripts for querying and monitoring the database(s).
>
> Oracle Enterprise Manager tool is OK if you buy the additional cost
> Performance and Diagnostic Packs otherwise I feel you are better off
> to stick to using sqlplus or maybe Oracle's free SQL Developer tool.

+1 - agree and do the same

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: riverdance on
On Aug 5, 8:51 pm, Tim X <t...(a)nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> riverdance <esthershe...(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> >> scp can be used to transfer files, or pscp if you're using putty (a
> >> separate download , which also has psftp which I'd guess would do ftp
> >> too.)- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi, Thanks.
>
> > I tried winscp before , not sure if that is the same scp you
> > mentioned, it seems need to input userid and PW again.. I'm looking
> > for some tools which just need login once and could do FTP and SSH
> > without going through login process again...
>
> > I would try to find pscp /psftp to see if that works..
>
> This is normally handled by an ssh-agent. Don't know what the state is
> under windows, but under Linux and probably Mac, you simply start up an
> ssh-agent as part of your session startup (the agent needs to run in the
> parent process of processes you wish to use it from).
>
> With the ssh-agent running, the first time you try to go to a remote
> host, using either ssh or scp, you are asked for you passphrase via a
> popup (or command line if not running under a GUI). From that point on,
> the ssh-agent handles the passphrase for you - you will not be prompted
> again for the passphrase when you next visit that host or use scp to
> copy files to that host.
>
> Other alternatives would be
>
> * use emacs with its built-in 'tramp' mode. Allows you to edit remote
>   files and copy files from local to remote host and vice-versa. Steep
>   learning curve if your not familiar with it.
>
> * Set up an NFS, SMB or similar share. If your on windows, setup samba
>   on your server
>
> * Use something like dropbox
>
> There are many other possible solutions. A lot depends on exactly what
> you need to do and how often and what level of control/access you have
> to the remote server. I personally rarely need to copy files to the
> database. I run the Oracle instant client from my workstation and that
> pretty much provides all I need 90% of the time. The only time I need to
> copy files around is when I'm using external tables.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au- Hide quoted text -

Tim/Mark , Very appreciated for your suggestion.
From: galen_boyer on
Tim X <timx(a)nospam.dev.null> writes:

> * use emacs with its built-in 'tramp' mode. Allows you to edit remote
> files and copy files from local to remote host and vice-versa. Steep
> learning curve if your not familiar with it.

I'm assuming you use M-x sql-oracle then. Makes sqlplus a pleasure, eh?

--
Galen Boyer

From: Tim X on
galen_boyer(a)yahoo.com writes:

> Tim X <timx(a)nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> * use emacs with its built-in 'tramp' mode. Allows you to edit remote
>> files and copy files from local to remote host and vice-versa. Steep
>> learning curve if your not familiar with it.
>
> I'm assuming you use M-x sql-oracle then. Makes sqlplus a pleasure, eh?

Yep. The nice thing is that if I'm editing something remotely and then
run M-x sql-oracle, it actually executes the sqlplus on the remote host
rather than the local copy. Add to that all my little bits of elisp
extensions and sqlplus behaves more like a modern interface - command
hitory with up/down arrow, command history maintained over multple
sessions, improved formatting of output and I'm even working on a nice
table column name completion support.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au