From: nick on
I have scanned some negatives and wondered if there is any way to add exif
data to it. All I want to add is the date the photo was taken.

From: nospam on
In article <x5idnQk-V57YQ3TXnZ2dnUVZ8k6dnZ2d(a)bt.com>, nick
<nick(a)NOThereoday.com> wrote:

> I have scanned some negatives and wondered if there is any way to add exif
> data to it. All I want to add is the date the photo was taken.

exiftool

<http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>
From: nick on
Err, thanks, but I downloaded it and a dialogie box told me I had been
using "Stufit" for 865 days more than the evaluation period allows and that
I should pay to be able to use it! I am mistifoed by this as I have never
heard of "Stufit"! Any other suggestions?

From: nick on
Apologies, I just found Stufit on my pc, apparently I had downloaded it more
than two years ago. I have now removed it. I will see about downloading it
agin tomorrow. Cheers.

From: nospam on
In article <6POdne4ah4HOanTXnZ2dnUVZ8vidnZ2d(a)bt.com>, nick
<nick(a)NOThereoday.com> wrote:

> Err, thanks, but I downloaded it and a dialogie box told me I had been
> using "Stufit" for 865 days more than the evaluation period allows and that
> I should pay to be able to use it! I am mistifoed by this as I have never
> heard of "Stufit"! Any other suggestions?

first of all, stuffit expander is free, only the full suite requires
payment.

second, the windows version of exiftool is in a standard zip archive
and windows xp and later can unzip files directly without any need for
additional software. the unix version of exiftool, which is probably
what you downloaded, is a gzipped tarball and i suspect windows doesn't
know what to do with that and handed it off to stuffit. the mac version
of exiftool is a standard dmg disk image, but that won't help you much
if you are on a pc.