From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> I wonder if anyone can offer an understandable explanation
>>> for the error shown by the following event:
>>>
>>> Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: ati2mtag
>>> Event Category: CRT
>>> Event ID: 45062
>>> Date: 3/11/2010
>>> Time: 6:50:12 AM
>>> User: N/A
>>> Computer: COMPAQ-2006
>>> CRT invalid display type
>>> Data:
>>> 0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
>>> 0008: 2c 00 00 00 06 b0 00 c0 ,....�.�
>>> 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>>>
>>> No lead that I've followed up to now gives me a clue as
>>> to what is invalid about my CRT display type. Of course,
>>> the system has been running for a couple of years and nothing
>>> has been changed.....but on the other hand, it annoys me to
>>> see those red X's when the system doesn't appear to be broken.
>>
>> According to ATI the error occurs "When a digital panel connected to
>> the graphics card..." but you say that you have a CRT, go figure...
>>
>> This is what I can find:
>>
>> http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=45062&eventno=9333&source=ati2mtag&phase=1
>>
>> Event ID 45062 Source ati2mtag
>>
>> http://www.betanews.com/profile/nelsonhf
>>
>> John
> John, both of those links generate Error reporting to Microsoft....
> and don't work for me.

I don't know why you are getting these errors, maybe something to do
with your antivirus or other security software not allowing you to click
the links from your newsreader? Copy and paste the links to your
browser navigation bar or copy them to a search engine and see if you
can navigate from the links in the search results.

John
From: Jose on
On Mar 11, 12:43 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > 737-29385" for more information.
> > Symptoms:
>
> > Solution:
> > This error will not cause any issues to the system or performance. If
> > you do not want to see the error, the workaround is to install
> > Catalyst 7.6.
>
> > ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating.
> > Any updates will be published when they become available
>
> > I don't know how to check to see what version of Catalyst you are
> > using or what you need to be using but if you provide more information
> > maybe we can figure it out.
>
> > You might find out with a little snooping:
>
> > Right click an open area on your desktop, select Properties, Settings,
> > Advanced and see if there is an options tab or something like that
> > where it might say the Catalyst version.
>
> > What kind of monitor are you using?
>
> > Do you see this when you boot, shutdown, watch videos, play a game,
> > just any old time, only once in a while and you don't know why, etc.
>
> > Please provide additional information about your system:
>
> > Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>
> > msinfo32
>
> > Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
> > All, Copy and then paste the information back here.
>
> > There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
> > Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
> > delete it from the pasted information.
>
> > This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.
>
> > For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
> > click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.
>
> > .
>
> Okay, I believe this is the requested info:
>
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
> System Manufacturer     Compaq Presario 061
> System Model    EX304AA-ABA SR1900NX NA630
> System Type     X86-based PC
> Processor       x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3200 Mhz
> BIOS Version/Date       Phoenix Technologies, LTD  3.03, 5/19/2006
> SMBIOS Version  2.4
> Windows Directory       C:\windows
> System Directory        C:\windows\system32
> Boot Device     \Device\HarddiskVolume11
> Locale  United States
> Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
> Time Zone       Eastern Standard Time
> Total Physical Memory   1,536.00 MB
> Available Physical Memory       809.20 MB
> Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
> Available Virtual Memory        1.96 GB
> Page File Space 2.73 GB
> Page File       C:\pagefile.sys
>
> The monitor is a standard issue 17" CRT, the usual VGA
> that comes with desktop HP Presarios.
>
> As for what issue Catalyst. I snooped and all I could identify
> is Adapter: ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. When I went to seek a reload,
> some time ago, it referred me to a download of a "Legacy" driver of some

That is part of the information requested.

Since it appears video related, we need to know what video drivers you
have now to do the research necessary to see if there is another
version - earlier or later. You are using the integrated video and
have not added a video card, right?

Did this part not work?

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information.

I have know idea what the make and model a standard issue 17" CRT the
usual VGA that comes with desktop HP Presario is. I think it will
depend on what monitor the store thinks is right for most people most
of the time - that is the one you will get.

Has your monitor no markings? Is it the same monitor you have always
had?

I think I would restart, check the log and unplug/replug the monitor
from the VGA port, then check the log again for the error. Try to
recreate the message somehow.

What about the questions regarding when do you think you see this
message - reboot, video, games, etc.

Do you have any kind of Catalyst, CCC or CLI icon in the Notification
Area in the taskbar to the left of the system clock?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msconfig

Click OK and check the Startup tab for anything to do with Catalyst,
CLI or CCC - the Catalyst Control Center. Disable any of those items
(this does not uninstall anything), reboot. When XP loads again click
the don't bother me again checkbox and test your system and check the
event log again trying to recreate the message.

Sometimes the Catalyst stuff gets installed unnecessarily and people
have trouble with it (or usually performance issues), they have no
idea what it is or how to use it with just one monitor, so it just
needs to be disabled for their environment.

It would be good to get the information so we are not just trying
things.
From: Jose on
> [...]
> SMBIOS Version  2.4
> Windows Directory       C:\windows
> System Directory        C:\windows\system32
> Boot Device     \Device\HarddiskVolume11
> Locale  United States
> Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
> Time Zone       Eastern Standard Time
> Total Physical Memory   1,536.00 MB
> Available Physical Memory       809.20 MB
> Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
> Available Virtual Memory        1.96 GB
> Page File Space 2.73 GB
> Page File       C:\pagefile.sys
>
> The monitor is a standard issue 17" CRT, the usual VGA
> that comes with desktop HP Presarios.
>
> As for what issue Catalyst. I snooped and all I could identify
> is Adapter: ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. When I went to seek a reload,
> some time ago, it referred me to a download of a "Legacy" driver of some

I know a little more now - let's have your video driver info.

You can also get your display adapter information from Device Manager,
Display adapter, Properties, Driver...

From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> John John - MVP wrote:

>>> According to ATI the error occurs "When a digital panel connected to
>>> the graphics card..." but you say that you have a CRT, go figure...
>>>
>>> This is what I can find:
>>>
>>> http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=45062&eventno=9333&source=ati2mtag&phase=1
>>>
>>> Event ID 45062 Source ati2mtag
>>>
>>> http://www.betanews.com/profile/nelsonhf
>>>
>>> John
>> John, both of those links generate Error reporting to Microsoft....
>> and don't work for me.
>
> I don't know why you are getting these errors, maybe something to do
> with your antivirus or other security software not allowing you to click
> the links from your newsreader? Copy and paste the links to your
> browser navigation bar or copy them to a search engine and see if you
> can navigate from the links in the search results.
>
> John
Got to the betanews link, John, made the changes in Registry.
I'm going to clear all Events, reboot, and will report later
on the CRT error message.
From: William B. Lurie on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:

>>> John, both of those links generate Error reporting to Microsoft....
>>> and don't work for me.
>>
>> I don't know why you are getting these errors, maybe something to do
>> with your antivirus or other security software not allowing you to
>> click the links from your newsreader? Copy and paste the links to
>> your browser navigation bar or copy them to a search engine and see if
>> you can navigate from the links in the search results.
>>
>> John
> Got to the betanews link, John, made the changes in Registry.
> I'm going to clear all Events, reboot, and will report later
> on the CRT error message.
John, it went through a cycle of hibernate, all the way, and
when I just brought it up, and looked at Events, there were *none*
of the old familiar CRT error events. Looks like that was a winner, and
thanks a bundle.

I see that two messages from Jose came in while I was in hibernation.
I'll read them now.