From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Mar 11, 7:27 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> Jose wrote:
>>> I know a little more now - let's have your video driver info.
>>> You can also get your display adapter information from Device Manager,
>>> Display adapter, Properties, Driver...
>> Jose, I went there and got the info but I don't think there's
>> anything you can hang your hat on.
>>
>> It's again ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series
>> ATI Technologies 8.493.0.0
>
> Well, from what I can tell you are 14 versions behind in your video
> drivers. Check here and you will find your version in the middle
> column and many new ones.
>
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx
>
> The idea from John John - I read about that too yesterday and that may
> be what you need for what you have. I don't have the inspiration to
> read the release notes for each of the newer versions to see if your
> particular message is acknowledged and fixed, and it may not be fixed
> at all for that legacy video device.
>
> Sometimes I think if you are using an old version but it works okay
> for what you do - is it just not worth it to upgrade to a new version
> that may fix your benign error message or just because your have an
> old version - and then maybe have some new issue. You can ignore the
> message and live with it or figure out a way to turn off the message
> since you have no other important issues.
>
> Somebody has already chased your Event Log message and figured out how
> to keep the message from showing up in the Event Log as you can see -
> and I hope that works and you are happy with it. The "problem" was
> not really fixed, you just don't see the message any more. There may
> not even be a problem that needs to be fixed. Maybe is it just some
> silly programming oversight in the driver. Maybe it is supposed to
> just be an informational message and not really an error message at
> all in spite of its appearance.
>
> I am still of the belief that no message in the Event Log should defy
> reasonable explanation and if I saw it and could not explain it, that
> would annoy me.
>
> My motherboard is kind of old too and I have no errors or problems
> with it that I know of, but I am several versions behind in the BIOS.
> Do you think I am going to upgrade my BIOS just to be on the latest
> version? Noooooooooooo...
I'm with you all the way, Jose. I have it almost looking clean and I
am certainly not going to upgrade to one of the newer versions, each
of which will have its own bucket of boo-boos. Some are known to.

I found overnight that if I set hibernate time at 1 hour, it works
smoothly and gives no error message. But if I set hibernate at 2 hours,
it never goes to hibernate, and the reason is in the Event Log:

Every hour two events occur. One is Service Control Manager being
called, and it gives a 7036 code..."Windows Image Acquisition Service",
and the other is TCpip code 4201....Network Control Test.

I'd like to find out first how to set the Network Control Test to some
longer period. On thinking about it, I think it's time to end this
thread, whose problem has effectively been suppressed, and start a new
thread. And so, adios and muchas gracias. On to the new thread.