From: Bill Tillick on

Good one, Kevin!
The test program works with DBF but not with SQL.

But, everybody, the GREAT NEWS from my point of view is that my
original problem program is now working???????? I regret that I am
unable to confirm what solved the problem as I was making several
changes in short order and recompiling each time - when suddenly the
Append started working.
Some things I did were:-
* I obtained access to a copy of MS Access 2007, which handle the
database perfectly.
* I recreated the ODBC DSN for the database, using a fresh copy of the
production database, and rebuilt the SQL Server module.

* I discovered that, Curiously, VO2.8 isn't including the SQLServer
in the dropdown list for either the bBrowse control properties or the
owner data window properties; I have to code a :USE( SQLServer{} ) in
the PostInit for the window. Yet I have a recollection that it was
doing that earlier?? (Also for both the DBF Server and the SQLServer
in the test program I require the :USE.)

So perhaps I am doing something incorrect in my programs?

Thanks to all for the many suggetsions,
Bill :)
From: Bill Tillick on
Hi Kevin,
Tried with DBF and it works! But still not with MDB.
Curiously, the window editor does not show either server in the
dropdown list for attaching a server to window or the bBrowser
control!! So I 'manually' USE the selected server in the PostInit
method.
So, in summary, the test program using a DBF server accepts an
append() but the SQL server does not?????

Even more curiously, I now have the original program working with the
append()?? Regrettably I cannot give a definitive answer to the what
caused the problem as I was making several changes in a short period
of time - desperation! - based on many of the suggestions in this
thread. Changes included:-
* suspend/reset notification;
* Regenerate the ODBC DSN using another copy of the database;
* I did test the database in MS Access 2007 on another computer, and
that was all ok;

So now I can move on, but if you can ascertain why the test program
crashes then I would be most grateful. I assume it is something I have
done incorrectly, and would like to know what to avoid on a future
occasion.

Finally, many thanks to all who helped along the way.
And I don't doubt that I will need further help as I continue with
learning bBrowser.

Regards,
Bill

P.S. In older posts I keep seeing reference to a bBrowser Manual - is
that something that has been superceded by the bB Help?
From: Kevin on
Bill,

I have sometimes seen servers not being listed in the WED. As far as I
know they have to be compiled before they can be seen. Sometimes it is
necessary to reindex the program as well. It does not just happen with
server objects either.

If it works with another copy of the database it may have been the
database file was damaged. It may also have been the ODBC connection was
causing the problem.

Glad to hear it's working.

Kevin

From: Bill Tillick on
Kevin, I replied twice yesterday but on neither occasion has the reply
been added to this thread as far as I can see!
So this is just a test before I try again.
Thanks,
Bill
From: Bill Tillick on
OK, they have all suddenly appeared. I wonder where they were hiding,
as I has refreshed and reloaded yesterday several times? Maybe I
should have flushed the Firefox buffers? Not struck this behaviour
previously.
Bill
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6