From: Ian on
On 2 Jul, 10:35, ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> s...(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx wrote:

> > So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
> > my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
> > 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ...
>
> I would suggest you try Puppy Linux or Zenwalk.

>From the Zenwalk site:

++++++++

Hardware requirements

Zenwalk GNU/Linux is optimized for the i686 instruction set, but
backward compatible with i486. These are the minimal hardware
requirements to run Zenwalk in Xwindow mode, with correct performance
(some lower configs work - ie : PII - , but might be slow) :

* Pentium III class processor
* 128 Mb RAM
* 2Gb HDD

++++++++

Ian

From: Colin Brough on
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 10:57:27 +0100, Paul Sherwin wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 02:06:02 -0700, Ian wrote:
>
>> On 2 Jul, 09:07, s...(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx () wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
>>> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
>>> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
>>> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
>>> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?
>>
>> I've been trying to get Damn Small Linux to work on an old Compaq
>> Armada 1530 (133MHz + 88MB + 2GB). It installs fine, but I can't get X
>> working properly. Seems to be a known problem, something to do with
>> the Cirrus Logic graphics.
>>
>> However ... I'd suggest giving DSL a go.
>
> I agree, a hard disk install of DSL is probably your best bet on this
> hardware. You'll have problems running mainstream apps such as Firefox or
> OpenOffice though, whatever the distro. You should try to
> upgrade the memory if at all possible.

I'm running Debian testing on a an old Dell (233MHz, 64Mb) and the
main problem is the RAM - once something like OpenOffice or Firefox
are up, they are just about usable for basic tasks, but don't ever try
and do more than one thing at a time!! (And my motherboard doesn't
support more than 64Mb RAM...)

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough Colin.Brough(a)blueyonder.invalid
(Replace .invalid with .co.uk to reply)
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <faoml4-k13.ln1(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx>,
<steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx> wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>trying to reduce my leccy consumption .
>Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day .
>
>So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
>my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
>120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ,
>as an economical (in power terms ~= 20w) work station where I can
>code , maybe compile and debug the simpler bits of my project .
>In the heavier coding bits on my normal box , I have 4/5 virtual
>screens with 6 xterms each and one screen for googling ... so
>clearly this laptop wont get anywhere near that , any idea what
>it would support ?
>(currently has win98se installed) .
>
>I have booted with tomsrtbt ok and mounted the cdrom (just to test it).
>
>Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
>is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
>and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
>matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
>version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?

What you'll run into is not the actual Linux or OS part of it all,
but the bloat imposed by the GUI on top of that.

So you need a lightweight window manager.

My choice is Debian stable (currently codenamed Etch), and something
like fvwm2 as the window manager.

But I've been running that for (seemingly) ever on everything I've owned
or setup for others, so it's easy for me to say that! (And I ran fvwm on
Suns for many years before that - um. Maybe for the past 16 years!)

The key is to do the install in text-only mode, then while keeping things
as tight as possible, install the window manager and let it pull in what
it needs. Make sure it doesn't pull in "suggested" packages such as CUPS
and so on. Debian Etch doesn't include the compilers anymore either,
so that saves a bit of disk space.

However, I really think you'll be struggling with that little
memory... While the base systems can be kept tight, you'll wanting to
run something like firefox and that'll kill it stone dead )-: If you can
get more memory into it then that would be my first move - max it out -
256MB if possible.

Gordon
From: ruffrecords on
Ian wrote:

> On 2 Jul, 10:35, ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>> s...(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx wrote:
>
>> > So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
>> > my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
>> > 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ...
>>
>> I would suggest you try Puppy Linux or Zenwalk.
>
>>From the Zenwalk site:
>
> ++++++++
>
> Hardware requirements
>
> Zenwalk GNU/Linux is optimized for the i686 instruction set, but
> backward compatible with i486. These are the minimal hardware
> requirements to run Zenwalk in Xwindow mode, with correct performance
> (some lower configs work - ie : PII - , but might be slow) :
>
> * Pentium III class processor
> * 128 Mb RAM
> * 2Gb HDD
>
> ++++++++
>
> Ian

Whoops

Ian
From: Rikishi 42 on

On 2007-07-02, steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx wrote:

> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?

I'm typing this on an ancien DELL Lattitude. It's a little bit more recent
than yours. Pentium II mmx at 233MHz. 3GB HD, 128MB RAM.

I installed SUSE 10.0 on it, in text-only mode.
Works like a charm. Removed FD and HD after initial install, set the isntall
source to be my server (which has a copy of the DVD), and replaced them
bettaries. Nog it runs up to 14 hours on one load.

Only problem I see for you is RAM. With only 32MB, that's your limiting
factor. A recent default kernel just won't fit in it.

Douglas Adams