From: Lyn David Thomas on
steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> trying to reduce my leccy consumption .
> Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day .
>
> So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
> my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
> 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ,
> as an economical (in power terms ~= 20w) work station where I can
> code , maybe compile and debug the simpler bits of my project .
> In the heavier coding bits on my normal box , I have 4/5 virtual
> screens with 6 xterms each and one screen for googling ... so
> clearly this laptop wont get anywhere near that , any idea what
> it would support ?
> (currently has win98se installed) .
>
> I have booted with tomsrtbt ok and mounted the cdrom (just to test it).
>
> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?

Normally I'd suggest Vector Linux, the standard edition has lighter
weight aps - if that is too resource hungry then I'd suggest Deli Linux,
a very good Slackware derived distro, with very lightweight aps. Look
them up on distrowatch....

--
Lyn David Thomas "Windows [n.] A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell
to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded
From: Anonymous on
Hello ,

Many thanks to all who responded . Lots of interesting suggestions.

The spec is probably comparable with the first box I ran linux on
(cant actually remember) but have a hard job remembering how slow
tasks were , and how that affected the way I used it .

The ram is 32MB and the max is 48MB but (unsurprisingly) they dont
seem to make it anymore.

There is also the cost of this , my guess of the value of this laptop
as was with win98se on it , maybe 30 gbp ? Almost any upgrade would
cost more than it is worth in itself , but some of this is an
more an investigation as to whether it would be usable .

Took a look at freecycle but they wanted an essay on why I want to
join :-)

My main concern with a new or old distro is the size increase in
everything over time . Years ago I worked thru the boot/root howto
and got it all working (satisfying) , but at next upgrade the libc
increased and could no longer fit on a floppy :-(

I took the advice to use a modern distro and went with slack 10.2
(which I had) and first attempt filled up the disk , second left
me with ~290MB free , so investigated the suggested distros and deli
linux is targeted at old machines (486) and their test machine
is a 486 laptop with 16MB ram - seemed like the ideal match (never
heard of it before).

Had several problems but is now installed : uses 346MB and 763M free !
Now need to see how usable it is and how I can or will use it.
Need to find a space to use it ... currently balanced on top of
the radio .

fwiw, I have gone back and remeasured the power usage , but this time
have separated out the box and monitor (thought I had before but clearly
didnt). Power measurement by a maplin mains power meter.

box power (a7v333 mobo 1G ram , athlon xp1800 , ati 9600, kernel 2.6)
idling 126 w
xine 132 w (windowed or full screen)
100% cpu 150 w

Why does 100% cpu use more power ...I thought that the idle was done
as a tight loop , so that it would use full power (the kernel has acpi
compiled in but did not think it would have any effect) .

The monitor is a 17inch ctx run at 1600x1200 and I normally run it at
60% brightness and contrast .

plain b&w text ie console : 62 w
X 6 xterms 72
xine full screen 66
xine ! full screen 70

at 90% for both :
X 6 xterms 80
xine fs 67
xine ! full screen 78

ie ~8w max change for extra brightness and that with white xterms + black
print. So there is far more power than I thought used on the
monitor , and maybe that should be a sensible

so normal typing stuff takes 72w + 126w -> ~ 200w .

Have also bought a mobile athlon cpu from ebay but waiting for a new
cpu cooling fan ordered from novatech (been due in tomorrow for 7 days so
far) ... dont know what to expect of that (assuming it works).

fwiw, one problem I had, was that I can not get the laptop to boot off
the cdrom. I found on the slackware rootdisks section that they have
a smart boot manager that can stuff on a floppy , and will boot from
the floppy and offer a choice of bootable sources including the cdrom .

Thanks for the help and the suggestions,

Cheers,

Steve

--

currently steve at houseman demon co uk

web : http://www.houseman.demon.co.uk/
From: Anahata on
steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx wrote:

> Why does 100% cpu use more power ...I thought that the idle was done
> as a tight loop , so that it would use full power

The idle is a halt instruction for exactly the converse reason i.e. to
use minimum power.

Any event that causes the CPU to do something is started by an interrupt
(even if it's only a timer interrupt)

Anahata

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <9h6vl4-m13.ln1(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx>,
<steve(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx> wrote:

>My main concern with a new or old distro is the size increase in
>everything over time . Years ago I worked thru the boot/root howto
>and got it all working (satisfying) , but at next upgrade the libc
>increased and could no longer fit on a floppy :-(

That's progress for you!

I think it's still possible to put a full router implementation in a
floppy - maybe. It would have to be a damn tight system now, with a
kernel compiled for your hardware exact needs, and little if nothing
left over for anything else...

I put a reasonably well featured system in a 32MB IDE Flash drive,
but I've not tried hard to really fine-tune it (this is kernel, basic
untilities, web server and asterisk phone server) It runs out of 48MB
of RAM.

>I took the advice to use a modern distro and went with slack 10.2
>(which I had) and first attempt filled up the disk , second left
>me with ~290MB free , so investigated the suggested distros and deli
>linux is targeted at old machines (486) and their test machine
>is a 486 laptop with 16MB ram - seemed like the ideal match (never
>heard of it before).
>
>Had several problems but is now installed : uses 346MB and 763M free !
>Now need to see how usable it is and how I can or will use it.
>Need to find a space to use it ... currently balanced on top of
>the radio .

I'd now find some digital photo frame software and turn it into a
.... digital photo frame ;-)

>fwiw, I have gone back and remeasured the power usage , but this time
>have separated out the box and monitor (thought I had before but clearly
>didnt). Power measurement by a maplin mains power meter.
>
>box power (a7v333 mobo 1G ram , athlon xp1800 , ati 9600, kernel 2.6)
>idling 126 w
>xine 132 w (windowed or full screen)
>100% cpu 150 w
>
>Why does 100% cpu use more power ...I thought that the idle was done
>as a tight loop , so that it would use full power (the kernel has acpi
>compiled in but did not think it would have any effect) .

AIUI, idle in the Linux kernel sits on the HLT instruction and effectively
waits for an interrupt to tell it what to do next, so that does a fairly
good job of reducing power in the kernel.

Try running cpuburn (eg. burnMMX) if you have it and then testing the power!

>so normal typing stuff takes 72w + 126w -> ~ 200w .

Think of it as 200W less heat you need to pump into the room in winter
(or this summer )-:

Gordon
From: unopened on
On 2 Jul, 09:07, s...(a)jackass.woolacombe.lnx () wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> trying to reduce my leccy consumption .
> Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day .
>
> So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use
> my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd ,
> 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom attached) ,
> as an economical (in power terms ~= 20w) work station where I can
> code , maybe compile and debug the simpler bits of my project .
> In the heavier coding bits on my normal box , I have 4/5 virtual
> screens with 6 xterms each and one screen for googling ... so
> clearly this laptop wont get anywhere near that , any idea what
> it would support ?
> (currently has win98se installed) .
>
> I have booted with tomsrtbt ok and mounted the cdrom (just to test it).
>
> Anyway I have distros going way back , and the first CD version I have
> is a slackware set from 96 which says requires 4-8MB ram, and 12MB hdd
> and is kernel 2.0 . Clearly in terms of vintage and box spec, this
> matches quite well, but would it be best to use this or a less vintage
> version of slack, (8.0,9.0,10.2 or my latest 11.0) or something else ?
>
> Cheers ,
>
> Steve Houseman
>
> --
>
> currently :
> steve at houseman demon co uk |http://www.houseman.demon.co.uk/

Damn Small Linux claims that it can "Run light enough to power a 486DX
with 16MB of Ram"

<URL:http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/>

It fits into less than 50 Mbytes of disk space as well.

I have used it. It is a little idiosyncratic, but may well suit what
you are after.

Regards,

Sid