From: Chris on
Just received magazine from NatWest which mentions they're bringing out card
readers for extra security on home banking (www.natwest.com/reader). The
site has 'Getting Started' etc., but nowhere (that I have found) does it
actually menetion connecting to your PC! I assume it's a USB device; the
question is, is there a chance it wouldn't work with Linux?
--
Chris

From: Dejanews Fan on
Chris wrote:
> Just received magazine from NatWest which mentions they're bringing out card
> readers for extra security on home banking (www.natwest.com/reader). The
> site has 'Getting Started' etc., but nowhere (that I have found) does it
> actually menetion connecting to your PC! I assume it's a USB device; the
> question is, is there a chance it wouldn't work with Linux?

Hi Chris,

You sure this isn't a standalone device?
From: Andy Burns on
On 10/07/2007 08:00, Dejanews Fan wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>> Just received magazine from NatWest which mentions they're bringing
>> out card
>> readers for extra security on home banking (www.natwest.com/reader).
>
> You sure this isn't a standalone device?

A friend has one already, it *is* completely standalone, like a small
calculator with a slot for your card to let it read the chip.

From: Dave Liquorice on
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:00:49 +0100, Dejanews Fan wrote:

>> Just received magazine from NatWest which mentions they're bringing out
>> card readers for extra security on home banking
>
> You sure this isn't a standalone device?

It is. A small handheld device that reads your chip 'n pin card producing
an eight digit number you feed to the online banking website.

http://www.newsroom.barclays.co.uk/content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=1013&NewsA
reaID=2

http://blog.jazzle.co.uk/why-i-might-leave-my-bank-the-natwest-card-reader

--
Cheers new5pam(a)howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

From: Gordon on
"Dave Liquorice" <new5pam(a)howhill.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:00:49 +0100, Dejanews Fan wrote:
>
>>> Just received magazine from NatWest which mentions they're bringing out
>>> card readers for extra security on home banking
>>
>> You sure this isn't a standalone device?
>
> It is. A small handheld device that reads your chip 'n pin card producing
> an eight digit number you feed to the online banking website.
>
> http://www.newsroom.barclays.co.uk/content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=1013&NewsA
> reaID=2
>
> http://blog.jazzle.co.uk/why-i-might-leave-my-bank-the-natwest-card-reader

If this reader has no connection to Natwest, how does the website know that
the (presumably random) number that its generated is correct?